- Starting Fall 2011: MA 090, 090A, 091, 091A 091D will no longer exist. These courses will be replaced by ONE course - MA 094 (Mathematics Prep)
- MA 101 will be renumbered as MA 097 and MA 103 will be renumbered as MA 099 and these courses will NOT carry any college credit.
How will these changes effect you? (Find the bullet below that describes your situation.)
- If you have a 61 or less on the Accuplacer Algebra Exam (or have not taken it) and plan on enrolling a math course for the first time in Fall 2011, you should enroll in MA 094. (Your Accuplacer score will determine whether you start in Part I or Part II of MA 094.
- If you are currently enrolled in or planning to take MA 090, MA 090A, MA 091, MA091A, or MA091D this summer and are able to complete MA 091, MA 091A, or MA 091D with a grade of C or better by the end of summer 2011, you should enroll in MA 097 or MA 099. You are strongly encouraged to see a counselor, or a faculty member in your major or in the math department to determine which of these two courses you should take in Fall, 2011.
- If you are currently enrolled in or planning to take MA 090, MA 090A, MA 091, MA091A, or MA091D this summer and are not able to complete MA 091, MA 091A, or MA 091D with a grade of C or better by the end of summer 2011, you should enroll in MA 094 in Fall, 2011. (The math courses you have completed will determine whether you start in Part I or Part II of MA 094.)
- If you are currently enrolled in or are planning to take MA 101 or MA 103 this summer and do not complete this course with a C or better by the end of summer, 2011, you should enroll in MA 097 or MA 099 in Fall, 2011.
What is MA 094?
MA 094, a combination of MA 090 and MA 091, is a self-paced course consisting of two parts:
- Part I of MA 094 covers MA 090 material
- Part II of MA 094 covers MA 091 material
Students are expected to complete MA 094 in one or two semesters, depending on whether they start the course in Part I or in Part II. Students must achieve a specified mastery level on all major exams, before moving on to new material.
A student will be billed 3 hours of tuition for each semester of enrollment in MA 094.
How is the format of MA094?
MA 094 is self-paced and uses a comprehensive, interactive, web-based instructional software package (MyLabsPlus) that has embedded lectures on every topic. In addition, students receive one-on-one instructional support from faculty on an as- needed basis, in both the weekly classroom meetings and the Developmental Math Lab.
What are the on-campus course requirements for MA 094?
Students will meet once a week with their instructor for 75 minutes. In addition, they must also spend a minimum of two and a half hours each week in the Developmental Math Lab associated with the section of MA 094 in which they are registered.
For MA 094 sections offered at the Germantown and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campuses, students may complete weekly lab hours at their convenience. For sections offered at the Rockville Campus, the day and time for one weekly 75 minute lab session will be designated at the time of registration; the remaining lab time may be completed at the student's convenience.
Depending on the campus, classroom and lab time for evening and Saturday sections may be structured differently.