STUDENT AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- The Garnett Baltimore Medal & Scholarship: One per year -- awarded to a minority student in Engineering, Mathematics or Science. Current value $10,000 for at least two years, spendable only at RPI.
- The Joseph Smith Jr. Medal & Scholarship: One per year -- awarded to an outstanding Engineering student. Current value $10,000 for at least two years, spendable only at RPI.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships: Recipient must be a member of the honor society Phi Theta Kappa -- we have a very active chapter here at MCR. No explicit limit on number to be awarded (but no guarantee that all applicants will be funded either). Current value at RPI, $5000 per year, as of Spring 2007.
- Bechtel Scholarships: Funds provided by Bechtel Corporation particularly to assist women and minorities in science and engineering majors here at MC. Amounts vary from year to year -- typically a few hundred dollars -- spendable at MC.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships: Recipient must be a member of the national honor society for two-year colleges, Phi Theta Kappa. We have a very active chapter here at MCR. Many outstanding colleges nationwide participate in the PTK program. Exact amount of awards varies from school to school. RPI's $3000 is sort of on the high end, but $1000 or $2000 is not uncommon. In many cases these potential scholarship funds go untapped because the student must join PTK, and win the award, while still enrolled at a community college, but the funds can only be spent at participating upper division schools.
- S-STEM Scholarships: There are a limited number of scholarships. The selection process is competitive and the award will be based on the amount of financial need, not to exceed $3,200 per year. Click here for more information on how to apply.
- The Clifford Beck Award: A plaque recognizing an outstanding student specifically for Excellence in Physics.
- The Frank L. Verwiebe Award: Another certificate of recognition for impressive performance in Physics or Engineering.
Back to Top