Link to Home - Montgomery College Maryland
Academic Planning Transfer Career/Jobs Testing (Assessment/Placement) Academic Support Campus Life

Career Exploration
         Cooperative Education (CO-OP)



FAQ by Category

What is an internship?


Internships are typically one-time work or service experiences performed by students who have attained at least some academic preparation in a professional field. Advanced undergraduate or graduate students work in professional settings under the supervision of at least one practicing professional. Some internships are more involved than others. Many offer pay, but quite a few donít. Most are done for academic credit.

Is there a difference between an internship and a summer job?

Usually.  The goal of an internship is to allow you to gain first-hand experience in a professional atmosphere.  While you may be expected to perform menial tasks (filing, errands, copying), you should also have the opportunity to try your hand at more meaningful projects that will help build your resume.  You are not always paid for the work you do at an internship.  The experience is your payment.  Summer jobs, on the other hand, often come with a paycheck but do not always challenge or provide an opportunity to gain professional experience.

What is a practicum?

A practicum is generally a one-time work or service experience participated in as part of an academic class. Some practicum's offer pay, but many donít. Almost all are done for academic credit.

What is an externship?

Externships are also known as job shadowing and allow students to spend between one day and several weeks observing professionals on the job. Such experiences are unpaid; however, some colleges and universities pick up travel and/or living expenses. Externships are generally not done for academic credit.

What is Cooperative Education?

A cooperative education experience is generally completed over more than one semester. It includes work assignments related to the participantís academic and career interests. Co-op students are almost always paid, and their work is considered productive to the employer. The typical program plan involves students alternating terms of full-time classroom study with terms of full-time, discipline-related employment. Most co-op programs involve some sort of academic credit. For more information, select the Co-op link on the right.

I don't have a major! How about General Studies?

You are not alone. More than half of students at MC are not sure of a major area of study. A General Studies A.A. degree may be a good choice for you. This degree allows for maximum flexibility for career exploration. By using this degree and following the advice of a counselor, you can earn a degree and explore career areas. With care, most if not all classes, will transfer to a four year institution. Read the requirements for the General Studies A.A. Degree, then talk with a counselor to plan your courses.

Print out a
General Studies Degree Check Sheet and a Semester Planning Sheet (Adobe Acrobat .PDF format). It will help you plan your courses and work with your counselor/advisor towards successful graduation or transfer.

Programs of Study for a listing of all Associate and Certificate programs offered at Montgomery College.

Take a look at the How to Pick a Major Tutorial

Still have questions, email us: Germantown | Rockville | SilverSpring/Takoma Park

 Site Content: anthony.solano@montgomerycollege.edu

Last Updated: Sept. 13, 2006