Link to Home - Montgomery College Maryland
Academic Planning Transfer Career/Jobs Testing (Assessment/Placement) Academic Support Campus Life

Academic Planning
Academic Advising FAQs


Transfer Questions

FAQ by Category

How do I find the best school for my major?  


Talk with your instructors, counselors and people in the workforce. Visit the school admissions representative when they visit campus. Visit the Transfer Center on your campus

When should I plan for transfer?

Starting early to work with a counselor/advisor is the most important step towards transferring successfully. Make an appointment with an advisor to help you successfully achieve your transfer goals. All counselors can help you with transfer planning.

When should I apply?

There is usually a deadline to apply as a transfer student. If you plan on starting at another school in the fall, you should have your application in by March. You will need to list all of the courses in which you are currently enrolled on the application and then send a final transcript to be sure that you get credit for all of your coursework.

How many credits do I need to be considered a transfer student at four-year schools? 

Most four year institutions require approximately 30 credit hours and a minimum of a 2.00 GPA for admission as a transfer student. Some schools require fewer credits (Salisbury is 24) but generally the number is 30.  Most transfer institutions prefer to see GPA's in the 3.0 range.  Standardized test scores are usually not required for transfer students to meet admissions requirements, though highly competitive universities have higher GPA requirements and may also consider high school grades and standardized test scores as part of the transfer admissions criteria. MC students with 56 credits and at least a 2.00 GPA are eligible for admission to Maryland public institutions, but certain majors require higher GPA's.  A higher GPA at MC prior to transfer increases your chances of academic success later.

Am I required to report all schools attended when I complete an application?

Yes.  Concealing a transcript is viewed as deceptive and can result in serious consequences from the four year institution.
How do I know if a course will transfer to another school? 

It is always up to the other school, but some formal agreements in Maryland assist students in understanding transferability of courses. The best place to look for information regarding transferability from MC to Maryland State institutions is located at ARTSYS  The counseling faculty on your campus can also assist in locating information about course transferability.

Will all of my courses transfer?

Most MC General Education courses (English, math, social sciences, natural sciences, art and humanities) will transfer. Freshman and sophomore courses that are prescribed for particular majors at other colleges usually transfer.

The State of Maryland Articulation/Transfer Information Site is the comprehensive State transfer site with resource information on the institutions participating in the ARTSYS program.

ARTSYS indicates the transferability of courses from Montgomery College to 20 four-year institutions in Maryland. Additionally, MC has developed articulation agreements with several out of state institutions outlining how MC courses transfer to those colleges or universities.

Developmental (pre-college) courses and some technical courses usually do not transfer. Courses in your major may or may not transfer. Courses in your major that are taught at the junior/senior level at four-year schools often do not transfer. Courses with "D" grades may be acceptable at some Maryland institutions.

With few exceptions, MC students can complete up to 60 transferable credits at MC and apply them toward general education and major course requirements at a four-year institution.

What if I am undecided about a major?

The General Studies A.A. degree provides the undecided student with the greatest flexibility to try out subject areas while still progressing toward a degree. Career exploration can be part of the educational experience at MC. You should work closely with a counselor to establish short term goals during the first two semesters at Montgomery College.

Taking DS103 - Career Development may help you make a decision if you are undecided about a major and a plan of study.

You may wish to browse Programs of Study for a listing of all programs which lead to an Associate's Degree, or to some other form of Certificate of accomplishment, awarded by Montgomery College.

Choosing Courses has some useful planning tools and information.

What is a General Studies A.A. Degree?

The General Studies A.A. degree helps students who need the maximum flexibility to meet academic requirements prior to transfer. If your major is not offered at MC, or an MC program differs from that of a college/university to which you desire to transfer, you can include transfer requirements in a General Studies curriculum.

The General Studies Degree Check Sheet and a Semester Planning Sheet will help you plan your course of study and work with your counselor/advisor towards successful graduation or transfer.

What about course requirements in my major?

Because of the great variety of major requirements at different institutions, it is difficult to match every course requirement for a four-year major with MC courses and curricula. The sooner you decide on a major and a transfer school, the better your chances will be of matching course and major requirements and minimizing potential transfer credit loss.

Introductory courses in a major usually transfer, but upper level major courses may not. Some four-year majors (ex. engineering and business administration) have fairly standard freshman-sophomore level course requirements that closely parallel Montgomery College curriculum requirements. Other four-year majors (ex. secondary education and computer science) have extremely diverse requirements from college to college and may not match closely with Montgomery College's curriculum requirements. If you are undecided about your major, following the General Studies curriculum will provide some guidance for course selection. Work with an advisor each semester for optimum course planning.

Some majors, such as engineering, education, and business administration, often have higher grade point average admission requirements, usually ranging from 2.5 to 3.0 and above.

Check with your prospective transfer school for specific major course requirements. The State of Maryland Articulation/Transfer Information Site is the comprehensive State transfer site with resource information on the institutions participating in the ARTSYS program. ARTSYS lists program course requirements for 20 Maryland four-year institutions.
Consult MC's Advising by Majors page for additional information.

What are the advantages to completing the A.A. Degree?

With few exceptions, Montgomery College students can complete up to 60 transferable credits at MC and have these credits apply towards their four year general education and major course requirements.

The Associate's degree will satisfy the lower level general education requirements at many four year institutions, but it will not guarantee that courses in your major will transfer. Some AA degree majors (such as Engineering Science and Pre-medicine) match closely the first two year requirements in bachelor degree programs, but due to the lack of uniformity of major course requirements at four year schools, many of the AA degree requirements in your major may not match the major course requirements of your prospective transfer institution. Consultation and careful planning with a transfer counselor/advisor are strongly recommended.

The TOEFL test requirements for International student admission to a four year school may be waived with successful completion of an AA degree at some institutions.

Athletes wishing to transfer to Division I and II NCAA institutions may be required to complete the AA degree to satisfy eligibility requirements.

Although most four-year institutions do not give admission preference to students with AA degrees, some colleges do, and several states, notably Florida and California, require an AA degree for most transfer admissions to their state universities.

The ability to list an Associate's Degree on your resume can be helpful in qualifying for many jobs.

Where can I transfer after MC?

If you are successful academically at Montgomery College, you should be able to transfer to the four year college of your choice. Begin the planning process early. Focus on finding the four-year institution where you will have the best opportunity to achieve academic success and satisfy your educational and collegiate aspirations. Visit each of the campuses you are considering.

How do I get my MC transcript sent to another college or university? 

See Transcript Requests at MC Admissions.
After deciding on a transfer school, what's next? 

Check on admission application deadlines. Obtain, complete and submit your application early, preferably at the beginning of the semester before you plan to transfer. Send an official Montgomery College transcript and include a copy of the MC courses you are currently attending. Request a second transcript at the end of your last MC semester. Some four-year institutions may also require high school transcripts, standardized test scores or faculty recommendations. International students may also have to submit TOEFL score results, particularly if you do not earn an AA degree.

Inquire about any orientations and campus visitations offered and attempt to attend as many such activities as possible. Particularly valuable are orientations offered specifically for transfer students as well as orientation/advising sessions that are tied into transcript evaluations and registration. As a rule, the earlier you are accepted into a four year school, the sooner you are eligible to participate in the advising and registration process.

Complete applications for financial aid, scholarships and student housing as early as possible. Early admission, advising, orientation and registration are extremely advantageous towards achieving a successful transition.

What transfer resources are available at Montgomery College? 

Transfer counselors and advisors are available on each campus to help you in the transfer process. Make an appointment early to begin working with a counselor/advisor on your transfer planning. Along with the transfer resources available in counselor offices, each campus has a Career/Transfer Center, which contains four-year college catalogs, transfer manuals, college guide books, applications, college view books, scholarship information, computer access.

There are many internet resources. but the primary Maryland online resources are:

The MC Transfer Page

State of Maryland Articulation/Transfer Information Site  

ARTSYS is a computerized transfer articulation system that indicates the transferability of MC courses to all of the Maryland State institutions, as well as the specific course requirements for most majors at these four-year schools.

What transfer activities are offered at MC?

Each campus offers a variety of transfer programs and activities. All three campuses offer college Transfer Days, with representatives and advisors available from all of the University of Maryland campuses, the other State Universities and Colleges, as well as programs featuring colleges from the Metro Area and Mid-Atlantic region, outside of the Maryland State System. Individual admission representatives from colleges throughout the United States also visit each campus.
Check with your campus transfer center for a schedule of transfer activities for this semester. Also check the Sponsored Events button at the top of the page.

What scholarships are available?

Scholarship information
for transfer students is available online and through the campus Career/Transfer Centers. Students should research these programs carefully, since many have early priority deadlines.

Still have questions, email us: Germantown | Rockville | SilverSpring/Takoma Park

 Content Manager: Anne.schleicher@montgomerycollege.edu

Last Updated: August 14, 2006