MAP sessions are for students who took the Accuplacer (English, Reading, and Math) for Native Speakers of English or whose SAT, ACT or TOEFL scores place them in EN 101 Techniques of Reading and Writing I. The Math portion of the Accuplacer helps assess the placement choices for students in mathematics. Students meet
with an advisor/counselor to discuss which mathematics courses match particular majors or transfer programs. In these sessions students will learn about the academic resources and support services at Montgomery College, get an explanation of their placement test scores, and receive academic counseling based on those scores. Moreover, students will begin to learn more about the college, understand the various registration options and procedures, and how to use the College catalog, schedule of classes, MyMC, and find classes on the Web. MAPs may last from 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours, serving anywhere from 10 to 60 new students in each session.
After attending a MAP, students will:
- Develop strong connections with Counseling Faculty;
- Understand the range of College resources and support services available to them.
- Be able to choose their first-semester courses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of some basic academic terms used in higher education.
- Be familiar with the College catalog and schedule of classes.
For more information and to sign up for MAP sessions,
Rockville Counseling and Advising (240) 567-5063
Germantown Counseling and Advising (240) 567-7770
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Assessment Center (240)
*eMAP are MAP sessions that occur online. Not all
campuses participate in this program.