Java Level III, CMP128
This course presents an in-depth coverage on advanced Java skills. Topics include file operations, object serialization, database manipulation, and multi-threading. Learn how to work with text files, binary files, directories, databases, and threads. You will gain a set of professional Java skills that you can use for developing business applications using features such as JDBC, directory manipulation, object serialization, random-access files, and multi-threading.
Prerequisite: Java Levels I and II or equivalent experience.
Technology update: Please bring a Flash Drive/Memory Stick 512MB or larger to class which will enable you to save your class work.
Books may be purchased at the MC Bookstore or online. You will need to know the CMP#(Continuing Education classes) for the class you are taking in order to look up information about the textbook.
Classroom Hours: 15
- Hierarchy of the I/O streams
- How files and streams work
- Handling I/O exceptions
- Text I/O streams and classes
- Text file I/O operations
- Using the File class for the file/directory manipulation
- Binary I/O streams and classes
- Reading from binary files
- Writing to binary files
- Working with random-access files
- Introducing object serialization and de-serialization
- Implementing data persistence using object serialization
- Introducing database tables and fields
- SQL overview
- JDBC drivers
- Configuring ODBC to support the JDBC-ODBC bridge
- Database connection and manipulation
- Getting user data and meta data
- Introducing threads and the thread related APIs
- Threads vs. processes
- Thread life cycle
- Using the Thread class and the Runnable interface
- Thread manipulation and synchronization
- Developing multi-threading applications