ACET Home Page
How to Apply
ACET Evaluation Reg. Form
Prof. Reference Form
Tuition and Fees
Testing / Praxis
ACET Program Staff Asst.
Submit completed materials to:
Attn: Ms. Debra Poese
School of Education
51 Mannakee Street, CS118
Rockville, Maryland 20850
ACET Program Entrance Requirement
Basic Skills Requirement:
Present qualifying scores at or above the minimum on ONE of the following:
- SAT taken after April 1995, math and verbal/critical reading total score of 1100 OR
- SAT taken prior to April 1995, math and verbal total score of 1000 OR
- ACT composite score of 24 OR
- GRE taken before September 1, 2011, composite score of 1000 OR
- GRE taken after September 1, 2011, composite score of 279 OR
- Praxis I (Pre-Professional Skills Test) taken before September 1, 2014, composite score of 527 OR
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test, with the following individual component scores:
- Reading: 156
- Writing: 162
- Mathematics: 150
MSDE has agreed to allow individuals who have earned passing scores on any of the Praxis I PPST tests taken prior to September 1, 2014 to complete the remaining requirement(s) through Core. This policy is effective immediately and will continue for a three-year period which terminates on August 31, 2017. This allows candidates to combine passing scores on individual components (reading, writing and math) from both the Praxis I and the Core; no composite score is available if you are combining test types.
Content Knowledge Requirement:
For all Certification Areas EXCEPT World Languages: Successfully complete the Praxis II content exam in your subject area. (See chart below for specific test numbers and names.)
All Praxis II exams are now computer-delivered tests which are available during specific time windows on a monthly basis. See http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/ for more details.
For World Languages certification:
Successfully complete the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI or OPIc) and the Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) in your desired language, given through the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Intermediate high scores or higher on each test are required for qualification.
See www.languagetesting.com/testing-for-teacher-certification for more details. Howard Community College is a regional testing site for the ACTFL tests.
IMPORTANT: You do NOT need to take the Praxis II Pedagogy Exam at this time.