- WD&CE Career Path Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions, FAQs
- Who is the scholarship intended to benefit?
- Who is eligible for the scholarship?
- What Career Paths are eligible for the scholarship? AND What Courses are eligible for the scholarship?
- What should I include in my explanation of how my course choices correspond to my indicated goal(s)?
- If I meet the conditions for eligibility to apply, will I be awarded a scholarship?
- If I am not awarded a scholarship, can I apply again?
- If I receive a scholarship, can I re-apply for another award?
- What costs does the award cover?
- If awarded, will all the courses listed on my applications be approved?
- Are ESL courses eligible for this scholarship funding?
- What if I apply for a course(s) with prerequisites, clinical courses, or other requirements?
- If the total for the course(s) I choose is less than $1000 in tuition and fees, do I get the difference?
- What if the total for the courses I choose is more than $1000 in tuition and fees, will the scholarship cover any additional?
- If awarded, how will I receive the funds?
- Who can I ask to fill out the letter of recommendation?
- What documentation is accepted for income verification?
- When can I apply for the WD&CE Career Path Scholarship?
- Which form do I use?
- Can I apply if I do not have a CRN number for the class?
- What if the application is available prior to the official course schedule and crn number being made available?
- How do I submit the application?
- How do I register for the course(s)?
- What happens if I drop the course?
- What happens if the class is cancelled or full?
- How long do I have to use the funds if awarded?
- How will I be notified of the award decision?
- Can I appeal the decision?
- What if class starts prior to notification?
- If awarded funds, can I change my course(s) selection?
- What if I also qualify for other funding or a waiver?
- How do I make inquiries for further information?
These scholarships are intended to benefit those who are seeking skill enhancements or additional skills directed at obtaining employment in an entry-level position in the current job market. The specific type of position must be designated on the application. See FAQ#3 for a listing of qualified career areas.
You are eligible to apply if you are a resident of Montgomery County and qualify for in-state tuition according to College guidelines*, meet the income limitation as specified in the instructions, and submit all completed forms in one envelope by the scholarship deadline. Please read the individual scholarship instructions carefully.
*Note: Some visas qualify for in-state tuition, contact Customer Service at 240-567-5188 for more information about who may qualify for in-state tuition. A copy of visa documentation may be required.
The following Career Paths are available for potential applicants in understanding the many skill building and certifications being offered through Montgomery College, Workforce Development & Continuing Education. Only certain courses in these categories are eligible for scholarship funding. See the complete listing of Eligible Courses
- ACET: Alternative Certification for Effective Teachers Program
- Apartment Leasing Professional
- Computer Technology/ITI
- Cursos en español:
- Entrenamiento en Electricidad (teoría y práctica)
- Contabillidad: Certificade en payroll and Bookkeeping (teneduría de libros y nómina de pagos)
- Educación Preescolar
- Early Childhood Education Courses
- Event Management
- FastTrak™, Entrepreneurship
- Health Sciences
- Human Resources
- Management and Supervision
- Project Management
- Personal Fitness Training
- Real Estate
- Technical Education Programs
- TechLEAP/WebLEAP Computer Training Program in Information Technology
- Veterinary Assistant
The applicant must determine the correct career/certification/course area for their individual interest, and be able to explain their career goal and course(s) on the scholarship application. ONLY courses on the Eligible Courses List qualify for scholarship funding. Students should designate their chosen career path on the application.
All applicants will be required to list the specific course(s) in support of the career path they designated and explain in completing the application. See Schedule of Classes.
If you have any questions about this contact Nelida Andres, Via Phone: 240-567-3827 or Via E-mail: WDCE.Scholarship@montgomerycollege.edu
- What should I include in my explanation of how my course choices correspond to my indicated goal(s)?
You should direct your response to the specific benefits the course(s) will offer you in relation to current industry standards for skill requirements for the career path goal you have chosen. Include any experience or skills which support your being successful in the courses chosen.
You are NOT guaranteed an award. All eligible applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee to determine awards.
Yes, you can re-apply with a new and complete application. Please read the eligibility requirements and instructions carefully when re-submitting to ensure that your application is complete.
No, once you have been awarded a Career Path Scholarship, you can not receive another. These are one-time awards to assist in gaining employment skills.
The award covers tuition and fees only for the course(s) applied for up to a maximum of :
$1,000 for WD&CE Career Path Scholarships
Required materials/books not included in the tuition and fees are the responsibility of the student. No partial payments; see FAQs#11 for a detailed explanation.
The courses you list on your application should be supported by your explanation submitted with the application package.
Courses which do not directly support the intent of the scholarship will not be approved for funding. All courses must be career path skill development oriented to be considered for scholarship funding. Any course submitted which does not meet this criteria will not be approved for funding.
No, ESL courses are not eligible for this scholarship funding.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to understand the prerequisites, testing, or necessary clinical or other coursework required to enter or successfully complete a course program. Costs not covered by this scholarship are the responsibility of the student to register and pay for from other funding sources available to them.
- If the total for the courses I choose is less than $1000 in tuition and fees, do I get the difference?*
The award will cover only the amount of tuition and fees charged for the approved courses on your application for an amount up to $1000. If the total tuition and fee charges for the courses you submit on the application is less than $1000, you will not receive the difference. For example, if you are applying for funding for two or more eligible courses with combined tuition and fee costs of $1,000 or less, the maximum award possible would be the total tuition and fees of the approved courses.
|Example: 3 eligible courses less than $1,000 total|
|Course #1||$270 approved|
|Course #2||$225 approved|
|Course #3||$350 approved|
|Amount of scholarship would be $845|
- What if the total for the course(s) I choose is more than $1000 in tuition and fees, will the scholarship cover any additional?*
•13a. If you are applying for funding for one course, with tuition and fees totaling over $1,000, the course will be considered for funding up to $1,000, and you would be responsible for the remainder.
|Example: One eligible course with tuition over $1,000.00|
|Course#1||$1,198 approved, but exceeds limit|
|Maximum award possible||$1,000|
• 13b. If you are applying for funding for two or more eligible courses with combined tuition and fee costs of over $1,000, only those courses with a combined total under $1,000 or 100% coverage will be eligible for scholarships. You may apply for full tuition and fees for courses with a combined total under $1,000, you may not request partial funding for another course to bring your total up to $1,000. The only partial scholarships considered are outlined in #13a above. See example below:
|For example, given the following courses and related charges, the maximum award considered would be $900 to cover 100% of two courses.|
|Course #1||$550 approved|
|Course #2||$350 approved|
|Course #3||$250 *|
|Subtotal||$1,150* exceeds maximum amount|
|*Course #3 declined because it would exceed maximum amount - no partial funding|
|Total scholarship awarded||$900 for courses 1 and 2|
The funds will be applied to your student account once you register for the courses approved on your application. No check(s) or other type of payment will be given directly to the award recipient.
You can ask an employer, educator, or community leader who has knowledge of your abilities.
Income is verified by a copy of your most recent filed federal tax return (within the last 18 months) or social service letter.
Tax return pages pertaining to identification and income and adjusted gross income required. For example Form 1040 pages one and two.
If you have any questions about this please contact us.
In specific cases, copies of additional official documentation verifying a change of current tax year income status from prior tax year may be warranted. This includes official agency documentation of unemployment income or layoff from a position.
If claimed as a dependant on someone else's tax return, a copy of this return must be submitted with the application.
Personal written statements of financial status or change are NOT acceptable.
Scholarships for each term will be accepted as soon as the application and information for the upcoming term is made available online. Dates are posted on the web pages for each scholarship.
DO NOT USE A PRIOR TERM APPLICATION WHEN APPLYING FOR AN UPCOMING TERM. For example, do not use a Fall term application when applying for a Spring term. Application forms for prior terms will be denied funding as there are updates on information made each term which the applicant is required to read to understand the application process. This is to encourage applicants to understand the most recent requirements of the process and avoid missing important information when applying.
Yes, however you need to be aware that many, but not all, classes are offered in both Fall and Spring sessions. Therefore, if you apply prior to the official course schedule being posted online, complete with CRN number, you are not guaranteed that the course will be available. Your application will be denied in the event that the course you selected is not offered in the term designated on the application.
- What if the application is available prior to the official course schedule and CRN number being made available?
Be aware that many, but not all, classes are offered in both Fall and Spring sessions. Therefore, if you apply prior to the official course schedule being posted online, you are not guaranteed that the course will be available. Your application will be denied in the event that the course you selected is not offered in the term designated on the application.
All applications must be received, in a sealed envelope, by 5:00 p.m. on the date due.
Applications can be submitted, in a sealed envelope, via U.S. mail or by hand delivery to the Gaithersburg Business Training Center (GBTC), customer service office: 12 South Summit Avenue, Suite 400, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877. (they must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the date due), Applications will be date and time stamped. See map for directions to GBTC.
Completed applications and supporting documents must be in one envelope. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Registration for the approved courses, as listed on the award letter, must be done in person at one of the Workforce Development & Continuing Education customer service centers. WD&CE Customer Service locations
Signed award letters must be presented as proof of payment when registering. ID is required for verification when presenting the award letter.
If a student registered and paid before award notification, the student must still present the signed letter to the GBTC customer service office in order to process a refund.
If the student drops the course, the scholarship funding will be removed from the student account. The student is not entitled to a refund for scholarship funding. The student will sign the award letter in agreement of these terms.
If the class is cancelled by WD&CE or the class is full, the student will have an opportunity to register for the same class in a different CRN# (fall or spring), unless otherwise indicated in award letter, or the funding is no longer available at the time you try to register. Use of funds expires on June 30 at the end of the academic school fiscal year in which the funds were awarded. Students unable to register for a course in the same fiscal year for a spring or summer 1 term course will lose their scholarship funds. Any course changes for use of this award funding must fall within the same fiscal year and be reviewed and approved.
It is understood that this may require students to register (using other funding, if available) in a class prior to the award deadline to be assured of a space in class, as some classes fill up quickly. There is no guarantee of space being available in a class, or of a course being scheduled to accommodate an individual student's needs.
The funds are available until June 30th for tuition and fee charges for the course(s) approved through the application process.
Award notification or denial will be communicated in a letter signed by a Dean and sent via U.S. mail within four weeks of the deadline for applications submission.
No, award decisions are final.
It is the student’s responsibility to determine if registration prior to award notification is possible. If students have registered and paid prior to award notification, they may apply scholarship funding to their Montgomery College account. No student can register without proof of payment per Montgomery College, WD&CE policy. Once the award is applied to the student account a refund will be generated if a student registered and paid by other funding. Refunds due to prepayment prior to award posting will not be processed until after the start date of the course. Allow six weeks for the refund to be processed.
No, applicants are required to support their course(s) selection as criteria for approval. No changes will be considered. However, if the original class (crn#) is cancelled or full, students may select the same course in a different term with a starting date prior to June 30th, unless otherwise indicated in award letter, or the funding is no longer available at the time you try to register.
Funding will be determined by course list submitted and 100% of corresponding tuition and fee charges. Any other funding and/or waivers available to a student awarded this scholarship may be applied at the time of registration, but will not alter the courses approved for funding. Application of other funding and/or waivers at the time of registration is at the discretion of the student. For example, if a student is awarded $500.00 for Class A and Class B and registers using a waiver or other funding, the student will only be able to apply the scholarship funds to pay the balance due on Class A and Class B. The balance of any scholarship funding not used to pay for the courses approved will be forfeited.
Special instructions for Disability Waiver. The disability waiver policy has changed, you may no longer qualify. To learn more visit: http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/wdce/register/disabilitywaiver.html. Assuming you qualify for both the disability waiver and scholarship, you may not combine both sources of funding for your class. You must select either the disability waiver or the WD&CE scholarship funds, but NOT both for any approved classes funded. The student is responsible for the balance of payment for any amount not covered by the scholarship at the time of registration. See question #13.
Via E-mail: WDCE.Scholarship@montgomerycollege.edu
Via Phone: Aron McDonald , 240-567-2569