Practice Context Clues
Read each sentence below and write down the closest meaning type of context clue (contrast/antonym, restatement/synonym, example or general knowledge) that helps you define the meaning of the key term.
1. Joan loves to buy exotic foods: vegetables and herbs from China, spices from India, olives from Greece, and cheeses from France.
expensive seasonings rare from other places
2. Emotionally disturbed people may be troubled by morbid thoughts. For instance, they may often think about suicide or murder.
disturbing dealing with death psychologically ill scary
3. At first, the surgery seemed to be successful. But several hours later, the patientís condition began to deteriorate, and it continued to worsen over the next few days.
stabilize surprise everyone change decay or decline
4. In Dickensí A Christmas Carol, the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by three spirits who changed him into a generous man.
cheapskate single and elderly unhappy wealthy
5. Raul is an indulgent father. For instance, he lets his daughter stay up as late as she likes and he never insists that she does her homework.
lazy and caring stupid and kind strict and mean lenient and tolerant
6. Languages evolve over time, as you can see if you open a page of The Canterbury Tales, written about six hundred years ago by the English poet Chaucer. It is barely recognizable as English today.
develop age increase complexity regress
7. The decision Veronica made to study instead of going out for pizza with her friends was prudent. She got an A on the exam, while her friends all got Dís.
anti-social careful and wise selfish calculating
8. Whenever something bad happens to Jane, she ways itís the fault of destiny. But I prefer to take charge of my own life rather than simply blaming fate.
bad luck evil caused by someone poor planning event that happens regardless
9. My father died when I was a baby, but Mom told me so many stories about him that I feel I knew him well. For example, one anecdote was about how he cried with joy when I was born.
medicine or cure biographical account example joke
10. Ivan is a wonderful piano player. But Jerri is more versatile; she sings, acts, paints and writes poetry, and also plays the piano.
talented show off superior skills many abilities
11. This third grade was full of precocious children. One child had learned to read at two and another could do algebra at age 6.
12. I expected truthfulness from a doctor; I was shocked by his mendacity.
13. When my grandfather meets someone with that much knowledge in a field, he finds that their erudition frightens him and he is inclined to withdraw.
14. When going to an office party you should show your best decorum, for example, dress your best, drink and eat moderately, and be sure to thank the host before you leave.
15. We thought that the mother would be very distraught at hearing of her husband's accident; however, she took the news quite calmly.
16. It is refreshing to see students so excited, so zealous in doing their homework.