Paralegal Studies Certificate
MC's paralegal studies certificate will provide you with basic skills in legal research, legal writing, and legal interviewing techniques. Courses include American government, legal writing, introduction to the legal system, and more. Competency is developed in at least three areas of substantive law selected by the student.
Note: paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted as law.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Locate and interpret legal statutes.
- Locate and interpret legal cases.
- Draft simple legal documents.
- Interpret the legal concepts in three areas of substantive law.
- Interpret the concepts of procedural law.
- Interpret citations of the law.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans.
- Paralegal Studies Certificate Program Advising Guide (PDF, )
- Paralegal Studies Certificate Advising Guide for Part-Time Students (PDF, )
- Find a Program Advisor
In additional to law firms, the federal government, local governments, corporations, banks, insurance companies, title companies, and many other organizations seek to hire talented, formally-trained paralegals and legal assistants.
- Career Outlook for Paralegals and Legal Assistants: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development & Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.