English Language Assessment and ESL
International students can come to Montgomery College to study English or prepare for a degree. However, if you need the I-20 for an F-1 student visa, you must show proof of your English language proficiency level before being admitted to Montgomery College.
To prove your English proficiency level, you can take one of the following standardized tests and submit your scores: TOEFL, IELTS(Academic), Cambridge (CEFR) or SAT. If you are in the US already or transferring an I-20, you also have the choice to take the Accuplacer-ESL at Montgomery College.
If the score you received on the placement test does not place you into ENGL101, you will be placed into one of the following English language programs:
American Pre-Academic & Professional ESL (APPE/ESL)
If you place into APPE (ESL), you will study English for one to four semesters or until you score high enough on the Accuplacer ESL to continue on to ELAP. Your standardized test scores will fall into the following range:
|TOEFL (iBT)||28-35 or (paper) 385-419|
|IELTS (Academic)||3.5 - 4.9|
|SAT Reading||325 - 399|
English Language for Academic Purposes (ELAP)
If you place into ELAP, you will work to perfect your English for one to three semesters and depending on which classes you place into, you may start degree classes at the same time. Your standardized test scores will fall into the following range:
|TOEFL (iBT)||36-89 or (paper) 420-574|
|IELTS (Academic)||5.0 - 6.4|
|SAT Reading||400 - 499|
You can begin credit classes if you…
- Have standardized test scores higher than those listed above
- Have credit for appropriate transferrable US college or university English composition courses (equivalent to ENGL101 at MC)
- Are transferring an I-20 with appropriate Accuplacer-ESL scores
Most students are able to complete a degree in four to six semesters.
Montgomery College ESL Accuplacer Exam (Due to Covid-19, students can take the ESL Accuplacer test from everywhere in the
- Please see the assessments section for more information.
- Please see toefl.orgnew window to arrange testing.
- Send test scores to your campus; campus codes are: Germantown 5393, Rockville 5440, Takoma Park/Silver Spring 5414.
- Please see ielts.orgnew window to arrange testing.
- Send test scores to your campus; see the IELTS website for test score reporting instructions.
- Please see cambridgeenglish.orgnew window to arrange testing.
- Send test scores to your campus; see the Cambridge website for test score reporting instructions.
- Please see collegeboard.comnew window to arrange testing.
- CODES are the SAME as TOEFL.
Contact the International Student Office
- Annual Security Report (Clery Act)
- Cookie Notice
- GDPR Interim Plan
- Policies & Procedures
- Privacy Statement
- Public Safety
- Public Record Requests
- Title IX