Student Health and Wellness Center Resources for COVID-19
As we continue to live and learn in this ever-changing climate, the Student Health and Wellness Center for Success is here for you. For the most up-to-date information about MC's response to the coronavirus pandemic, see the Resilient MC page and coronavirus page.
Below are a series of SHaW Center events and community resources to support our students during COVID-19 as well as the information and services available regularly.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call, text, or chat 24 hours a day:
- Montgomery County Crisis Hotline: 240-777-4000
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255. Press 1 for Veterans Crisis Line
- Online chat support at imalive.orgnew window
- Text chat support: Text “Start” to 741741
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
Support Groups: To provide our students additional mental health support, we are offering no-cost to participant groups lead by Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors. Any student may register and participate. Groups begin the week of September 14 and run through the week of October 19, 2020.
- Mondays from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. with Cedric Rashaw, LCPC
Mindful Mondaysnew window: Join us every Monday from 12-12:15pm from September 14 through December 7, 2020 for a 15-minute mindfulness meditation via videoconference to take a break in your day and recenter yourself.
What Is Counseling?
Have you ever wondered what counseling actually is, what is expected of you as the client, or what you should expect your counselor to do? You aren't alone, in fact many people don't really know what to expect from a counseling session. Come and join our workshop series this semester to explore what individual and group counseling are, as well as what to expect if you see a psychiatrist. Register for each session using the links below.
- "What is Individual Counseling?" by Cedric Rashaw, LCPC
Monday, September 21, 2020 from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- "What is Group Counseling" by Elana Woolf, LCPC
Date and Time TBD
- "What are Psychiatry and Assessment?" by Mary Jun So, DNP, PMHNP-BC
Thursday, October 1, 2020 from 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Recovery in Quarantine
Join us for a workshop with Jivwe Partridge, LMSW, of BornFree Wellness on what substance abuse recovery looks like since the beginning of COVID-19 and the major changes to how we all live and interact. Register here.
Thursday, September 17, 2020, from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
World Mental Health Day
In celebration of World Mental Health Day, we will be hosting Javier Cabrera-Rosales from the Active Minds Speakers Bureau as he talks about his life experiences with mental health and substance abuse in "Cultural Identity and The Struggle to Belong: A Journey of Love, Trauma, and Acceptance."
Thursday, October 15, 2020 from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Register herenew window
Stress and Anxiety Management: Learning Self-Compassion
As midterms pass and finals approach, increased stress is expected among students. Join us for a workshop exploring the impacts of stress on our physical and mental wellbeing and how we can use the principles of Self-Compassion to help us navigate the ups and downs of life. Register here.
Tuesday, November 3, 2020 from 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Raptor Lounge is back! Come to an open Zoom group to socialize and relax. Bring a craft project, writing, or whatever you do for stress relief and join in for some purposeful down-time. No homework allowed!
- Tuesday, November 17, 2020 from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 10, 2020 from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
See the Fuel for Success Food Campaign for upcoming distribution events.
- Community Resources During COVID-19 Crisis (PDF, )
- Food Assistance Provider Resource List (PDF, )
- Montgomery County Food Council COVID-19 Resourcesnew window
- Montgomery County Community Resource Guide (PDF, )
- Search for county resources with InfoMontgomerynew window
Montgomery County offers free testing to County residents who think they may have
been exposed to COVID-19, or who
need testing to meet work requirements. See testing information from the Countynew window.
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) Center for Success