Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Resources
More information about resources for transgender and gender-nonconforming students will be coming soon.
Gender-Inclusive Restroom Locations
- Humanities and Social Sciences Building (HS) – (Located adjacent to the Child Care Room 012)
- Campus Center (CC) – Room 028, 017C, 014F, and 109E
- Computer Science (CS) – Room 129A & 129B
- Gordon and Marilyn Macklin Tower (MT) – Room 003B & 003C, 020A, 104B & 104C, 302B & 302C, 401 & 402, 500A & 500B, and 600A & 600B
- Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center (PA) – Room 115 & 117
- South Campus Instruction Building (SB) – Room 018
- Student Services Building (SV) – Room 130
- Theatre Arts Building (TA) – Room 116 & 117
- Cultural Arts Center (CU) – Room 108
- North Pavilion (NP) – Room 002
The College has developed a procedure to allow students and employees to designate a preferred name. Please refer to the Preferred Name Guidelines for more information. Contact TitleIX@montgomerycollege.edu for more information as well.
Preferred Name Guidelines
To foster a College environment that is inclusive and that encourages self-expression,
Montgomery College has established guidelines whereby any current student or employee
may use a preferred or chosen first name on campus. We strive to have this name used
wherever a legal name is not necessary.
Montgomery College recognizes that faculty, staff and students may use names other than their legal name to identify themselves. These may include, but are not limited to, people who use their middle name instead of their first name, people who use nicknames of a legal name, people who use an anglicized name, or people who use a name that affirms their gender identity.
It is the practice of the College that students, faculty, staff, and administrators may use whatever preferred or chosen first name they want, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name, except where their legal names are required by law, industry standard, or strong business need.
A student or employee may designate a Preferred Name in College information systems only when such systems allow for such designation.
Legal name: The name the individual is given at birth and which appears in a birth
certificate recognized by a government or other legal entity, or the name on a marriage
certificate or government issued document (e.g., court order) on which a legal name
change is recorded.
Preferred name: A first name other than the student’s legal name by which the student prefers to be identified.
Preferred names will be used or made available in the following systems and records:
- MC Class and Grade Rosters (for students and employees taking courses)
- Online Classes - Blackboard
- MC Student/Employee ID cards
- MC College Directory and email (employees only)
Official/Legal names will continue to be used in official College records, including but not limited to the following:
- Legal documents and reports produced by the College
- Student Account Statement (bills)
- Financial Aid and Scholarship documents
- Transcripts and diplomas
- Enrollment Verifications
- Student employment documents
- Employment Verifications
- Employment documents
- Paychecks, W2s, and other payroll documents
- Benefits enrollment
Students and employees may request a preferred name that they want to be known by
in College systems. The College reserves the right to approve or disapprove preferred
name change requests.
An individual shall not use a Preferred Name for the purpose of misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligations, or otherwise in any manner that violates College policies or federal, state, or local laws. Inappropriate use of a preferred name may result in a violation of the
Student Code of Conduct and/or Board Policy and may result in disciplinary action.
a. For students:
i. Complete the Student Preferred Name Request Form (PDF, )
ii. Submit the form, along with a photo ID, to the Office of Records and Registration, campus registrar.
b. For Employees:
i. Complete preferred name change request in Workday, within the “Personal Information” widget located under “Applications.”.
The campus registrar (or designee) will approve or deny student requests. An approved request will be entered into the system and will remain in effect until the requestor asks that it be changed.
The requestor will be notified upon approval or denial of a preferred name request. Notification will include the reason for the denial and be will be provided in writing via certified, return receipt requested mail to the address that is kept on file at the College, or via email to the requestor. Preferred Name Request Forms are retained as part of a student’s education file indefinitely.