Every year, thousands of students from around the world learn English at Montgomery College.
It might just be something you've always wanted to do for yourself, or something you need to learn for your job.
Or you require improved English language skills to continue your education.
MC has several levels of training to fit every need.
Find out below the class or program that fits YOUR need.
There are three ESL Programs for adult learners whose first language is not English.
Adult ESOL and Basic Skills for College and Careers (AEBSCC) is for you if you want:
- English for life, work, and the community
- to learn to read in English
- basic skills development
- English to prepare for specific jobs or job-training programs in health care, customer service, building trades, and technology
AEBSCC programs also offer:
- computer literacy classes
- preparation classes for a high school diploma
- preparation for the US Citizenship test
- ESL and job training for refugees and asylees
- CASAS tests or other tests
- Depending on the class or program, there may be additional entrance requirements
Locations: Many sites throughout Montgomery County
Tuition? Most are free—varies by program and class.
The American Pre-Academic and Professional ESL program is for you if you want:
- to work on your reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, listening, and speaking skills
- help in building a strong foundation for academic English
- to improve your English to prepare for the Accuplacer ESL
- to take a TOEFL preparation course
- ESL Assessment (ESLA)
- Accuplacer ESL Test & Writing Sample
Locations: Rockville and Takoma Park campuses
Rockville Campus Placement Office
Campus Center (CC) Room 204A
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus Placement Office
Cafritz Foundation Art Center (CF) Room 230
The English Language for Academic Purposes (ELAP) program is for you if you want:
- classes that focus on English for academic purposes
- to study for a degree and take some credit courses while working on your English language skills within an academic context
- classes higher in level than most courses in the other two English language programs
Placement test: Accuplacer ESL Test & Writing Sample
Locations: Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park campuses
Tuition? Yes. Financial aid may be available.