This page is using javascript to provide useful Links and information that normally appears on the page so they cannot be displayed unless JavaScript is enabled in your browser.
Skip Navigation Links - Jump to main content Link to Home - Montgomery College - Endless Possibilities My M.C. Login
Campuses at Germantown, Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring, Maryland Germantown Campus Home Rockville Campus Home Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus Home
One pixel image
One pixel
Home Admissions Courses and Programs Student Services A - Z Index Web Help
one pixel block image
picture of greycolumncurve
Directories | Maps & Directions | Libraries | Calendar | Web Survey

  I-20 for Change of Status

How to Get Started at Montgomery College
If You Are Requesting a Change of Status I-20.

(For any non-immigrant visa holder currently residing in the U.S.
wishing to change their status to a student visa.)

Definitions of I-20 and Immigration Status:

  • What is an I-20?
    An I-20 is a “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students.” I-20 forms are issued by “Designated School Officials,”who are usually your International Student Coordinators. The completed form verifies that an international student has been admitted to an academic program for full-time enrollment and has shown evidence of financial support. The form is used by international students to request student visas (F-1) and student immigration status (F-1).

  • What is F-1 Immigration Status?
    F-1 immigration status allows an individual to be engaged in full course academic study in the United States in an accredited educational program.

  • What is M-1 Immigration Status?
    M-1 immigration status allows an individual to be enrolled in a vocational school or certificate program in the United States.

    (For additional information on F-1/M-1 immigration status, or to make an appointment, if required, contact the U.S. Embassy where you plan to apply for a change of status.)

How to Request a Change of Status I-20:

You must call and set up an appointment with an International Student Coordinator at the Montgomery College campus you choose to attend. The International Student Coordinator will review your change of status request.

For more questions about immigration status or visas, contact Montgomery College International Student Coordinators via e-mail at the campus you wish to attend:

Mr. Vallejo-Valencia (Rockville)

Phone: 240-567-5315
Fax: 240-567-5037

Ms. Heidi Russell-Kalkofen (Rockville - except Wednesday)

Phone: 240-567-7962 (R)
Fax: 240-567-5037(R)

(Germantown - Wednesday Only)

Phone: 240-567-1803(G)
Fax: 240-567-1923(G)

Ms. Vida Bonsu (Takoma Park/Silver Spring)
Phone: 240-567-1639
Fax: 240-567-1497

For general information about Montgomery College, contact our Response Center at 240-567-5000 or via e-mail at