This page is using javascript to provide useful Links and information that normally appears on the page so they cannot be displayed unless JavaScript is enabled in your browser.
Skip Navigation Links - Jump to main content Link to Home - Montgomery College - Endless Possibilities My M.C. Login
Campuses at Germantown, Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring, Maryland Germantown Campus Home Rockville Campus Home Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus Home
One pixel image
One pixel
Home Admissions Courses and Programs Student Services A - Z Index Web Help
one pixel block image
picture of greycolumncurve
Directories | Maps & Directions | Libraries | Calendar | Web Survey

  I-20 for Reinstatement to F-1 Status

How to Get Started at Montgomery College
if You Are Requesting a Reinstatement I-20.

(For any F-1/M-1 non-immigrant visa holder currently residing
in the U.S. wishing to study at Montgomery College.)

Definitions of Reinstatement I-20 and I-20:
  • Reinstatement to F-1 status after a status violation?
    A student who has violated status may be reinstated to lawful F-1 status at the discretion of an USCIS District Director, but only under the limited conditions specified at 8 C.F.R. & 214.2(f)(16). Please visit Code of Federal Regulations for details.

  • Eligibility for reinstatement
    A student may reinstated to F-1 status by USCIS it the student can establish the following:
    1. Establishes to the satisfaction of the B.C. Director that the violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond the student's control or that failure to receive reinstatement to lawful F-1 status would result in extreme hardship to the student;

    2. Is currently pursuing, or intending to pursue, a full course of study at the school that issued the Form I-20 A-B;

    3. Has not engaged in unauthorized employment; and

    4. Is not deportable on any ground other than section 241 (a)(1)(B) or (C)(i) of the Act [overstaying or failing to maintain status]. Please visit Code of Federal Regulations for details.
  • What is an I-20?
    An I-20 is a “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students.”I-20 forms are issued by “Designated School Officials,”who are usually your International Student Coordinators. The completed form verifies that an international student has been admitted to an academic program for full-time enrollment and has shown evidence of financial support. The form is used by international students to request student visas (F-1) and student immigration status (F-1).

  • What is F-1 Immigration Status?
    F-1 immigration status allows an individual to be engaged in full course academic study in the United States in an accredited educational program.

  • What is M-1 Immigration Status?
    M-1 immigration status allows an individual to be enrolled in a vocational school or certificate program in the United States. (For additional information on visas, or to make an appointment, if required, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply for a visa.)
How to Request a Reinstatement I-20:
You must call and set up an appointment with an International Student Coordinator at the Montgomery College campus you choose to attend. The International Student Coordinator will review your reinstatement request.
For more questions about immigration status and visas, contact Montgomery College International Student Coordinators via e-mail at the campus you wish to attend:
Mr. Vallejo-Valencia (Rockville)

Phone: 240-567-5315
Fax: 240-567-5037
Ms. Heidi Russell-Kalkofen (Rockville - except Wednesday)

Phone: 240-567-7962 (R)
Fax: 240-567-5037(R)

(Germantown - Wednesday Only)

Phone: 240-567-1803(G)
Fax: 240-567-1923(G)

Ms. Vida Bonsu(Takoma Park/Silver Spring)

Phone: 240-567-1639
Fax: 240-567-14977

For general information about Montgomery College, contact our Response Center at 240-567-5000 or via e-mail at

>>back to top