Skip to main content

Engineering Advising and Transfer

Group of MC students who transferred to Georgia Tech
MC professor Dr. Donald Day visiting with 7 of the 9 students who were enrolled at Georgia Tech in 2004-5. As of 2019, about 70 students have transferred to GT, with many continuing on to achieve advanced degrees.

Our engineering programs are designed to transfer efficiently to many highly ranked four-year schools where you can complete your BS degree in engineering. To maximize the efficiency of your transfer process, we have articulated many of our programs with various colleges and universities where significant numbers of students have transferred.

Contact an engineering advisor for assistance or more information, and see all transfer agreements.

University of Maryland College Park (UMCP) Clark School of Engineering 

See below for the most recently updated curriculum guides and transfer sequences for transfer to UMCP.

  • UMCP does not currently have an undergraduate degree in Nuclear Engineering. If you wish to major in Nuclear Engineering, then you will need to transfer to a college or university outside the State of Maryland.

For further information, please contact us at:

Recommended Transfer Sequences for Bachelor of Science Degrees 
Transferring to the Clark School of Engineering at UMCP 
All students may apply for admission to Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP). Limited enrollment programs are competitive majors at the University of Maryland, College Park, that control enrollment numbers to maintain program quality. Here is a link to the engineering LEP information at UMCP (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) . Notice that this website uses UMCP course numbers. See below for LEP information using MC course numbers.

You can apply for transfer when you have completed the Gateway courses (PH161, MA182, CH135 or CH102).  PH161 and MA182 must be completed with a  grade of “B” or better.  CH102 or CH135 must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.   You also need to have completed EN102 or EN109 and at least one General Education course.  

You MUST have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all courses taken at MC and at any other college or university.  This includes such courses as EL*** and RD***, even though they do not transfer to UMCP.  By the time you have completed the above requirements, you will usually have accumulated at least 30 transferable (useful) credits in engineering. 

ONLY ONE repeat of any one of the three Gateway courses and the required English course, either at UMCP or at any other university or college, is allowed.  “W” is counted as an attempt.
IMPORTANT:  You must have a GPA of at least 3.0 in order to be admitted to UMCP’S Clark School of Engineering.  Your overall GPA is calculated using ALL grades for all courses taken at any college or university, including MC.  So if you attended Cal Tech for a year and ended up with a GPA of 1.2 with 30 credits, then you are most likely not going to be admitted to UMCP, even if you maintain a straight “A” average at MC.

Bioengineering majors must complete BIOE120 at UMCP before being formally admitted to the Bioengineering program.  In the interim you will be placed in another engineering major.  MC now offers the equivalent of BIOE120 (ES120) at MC in the fall semester.  This class is offered at UMCP each Fall, Spring, and Summer.  For those of you with a GPA above 3.2, consider the MTAP Maryland Transfer Advantage Program or contact Prof. Joan Hawkins in Counseling at Rockville or see an engineering advisor.  The MTAP program would allow you to register for BIOE120 at UMCP before you apply or transfer to UMCP.      

You can apply to UMCP anytime after you have fulfilled the LEP Transfer Student Criteria listed above. But it is usually not a good idea to transfer before you have completed about 50-60 hours of transferable credits at MC. If you transfer with 30 credits you will have sophomore standing and will take sophomore level courses at UMCP. You can almost always take exactly the same courses at MC. MC’s tuition is lower than UMCP and we have smaller classes, and, hopefully, a supportive environment in which you can learn effectively.
You may be admitted to your second choice, usually the College of Letters and Sciences (LAS). LAS is NOT the engineering school. This is generally not a recommended course of action since being in LAS will not allow you to earn an engineering degree. Moving from LAS to the Clark School is possible but not probable. A more realistic action would be to transfer to a university other than UMCP. Obviously you want to be directly admitted to the engineering school at your alternative university.

Fall Semester: There are different calendar deadlines for US citizens/Permanent Residents and International Students.  For the Fall semester the deadline is March 1 for International Students.  March 1 is also the date for the Early Application Deadline for US Citizens/Permanent Residents.  So, no matter what your status is, you are better off applying by March 1 for Fall admission to UMCP.  The absolute last date to apply for Citizens/Permanent Residents is June 1.

Spring Semester: August 1 is the deadline for International Students to apply for the Spring semester.  August 1 is also the date for the Early Application Deadline for US Citizens/Permanent Residents. November 15 is the absolute last date to apply for Citizens/Permanent Residents.  All of you would be wise to apply by August 1.

Summer Semesters: Apply as soon as possible, but certainly before March 1.         

No matter which semester you wish to transfer, the earlier you apply, the sooner you will be admitted, and therefore the sooner you will be allowed to attend the “Orientation Session” at which you will be able to register for the classes you need for the upcoming semester.  If some of the classes that you need are filled, ask to be placed on the “Wait List”.  The “Wait List” will usually enable you to register for the necessary engineering classes, although not necessarily at the times you would like.  

As soon as you have completed and sent in your application (keep a copy!), you will need to provide official transcripts of all courses taken at MC and courses taken at any other college or university.  These papers sometimes get lost or misplaced or never get sent, so check after a reasonable time (2 weeks or so) and make sure that the transcripts have been placed in your file at UMCP.

UMCP has added a new requirement for transfer students. You must now provide a short essay describing why you wish to attend the University of Maryland. You will notice this requirement when you are filling out and submitting your admission application. WRITE the ESSAY and do make sure that you use proper English spelling and sentence construction. Since all of you have completed EN102 or EN109 with a “C” or better, this should not be difficult. If you need someone to proofread your essay, try enlisting help from the Writing Center or from one of your former instructors.
If you are a non-native English speaker (regardless of citizenship), you MUST verify your proficiency in English. Completing the A.A. or A.S. degree exempts you from this requirement. All other students MUST have an official report of your scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Please note: Transfer credit for an English composition course such as EN102 or EN109 at Montgomery College does not waive the English proficiency exam at UMCP although it does provide a waiver at many other transfer institutions. Use the web to find further information about times, dates, and costs for the TOEFL and IELTS, or speak with a Counselor at any campus. At this time (February, 2012), UMCP requires a TOEFL score of 100 or higher in order to be admitted to the University. Follow this link for more detailed information about TOEFL and IELTS scores at UMCP:
There is a great deal of overlap between the general education required courses at MC and general education courses required by the University of Maryland College Park. There are, however, some small differences. So if you are anticipating transferring to UMCP, you should make sure that all of the gen-ed courses you are taking at MC also transfer to UMCP in a sensible and efficient manner. For example, UMCP would be happy to have you take ECON201 and ECON202 to fulfill the SB - Behavioral and Social Sciences core area. However, if you wish to earn an A.S. degree from MC, then you should not take both ECON courses since the two required Behavioral and Social Sciences Distribution (BSSD) at MC must come from different disciplines (for instance, one from ECON and another from PSYC). UMCP now transfers many ARTT and MUSC courses from MC for gen-ed requirements within the engineering program. 

For more information, visit the Clark School of Engineering Transfer Admissions websitenew window

UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County)

Follow the links below for the most recently updated curriculum guides for transfer to UMBC. We are in the process of updating our articulation with the engineering programs at UMBC. At this time (June, 2014) we have only completed the articulation process with the Mechanical Engineering Department. Active links to the other programs will be added in the future. 

Recommended Transfer Sequences for University of District of Columbia (UDC)
Georgia Institute of Technology

There are two alternatives for engineering students who wish to transfer to the Georgia Institute of Technology. The two choices have different GPA and course requirements.

  1. Regular Transfer Student (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) : To be accepted as a Regular Transfer Student you will need an overall GPA >3.5 and a GPA >3.5 for all science, mathematics, and engineering courses. There are exceptions to this rule but we don’t recommend that you apply to Georgia Tech unless your GPA is greater than 3.3 in any event. Georgia Tech is highly competitive and is ranked number 4-5 in engineering in the US so you need to be extremely well prepared in order to be successful in their engineering program.
  2. The Partnership Programs for Engineering (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window)  offers another possibility. If you apply for transfer to Georgia Tech through the Partnership Programs for Engineering then you need a minimum overall GPA of 3.3 and a minimum GPA of 3.3 in all science, mathematics and engineering courses. In addition you must have completed at least 60 credits at MC and you must have taken all of the courses listed in the Appendix to the Memorandum of Understanding (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) between Georgia Tech and MC. HINT: If you have more than 1 or 2 repeated courses at MC, then you might have academic problems with the engineering programs at Georgia Tech.

Most of the general education courses at MC will transfer to Georgia Tech. However, there are exceptions and some MC general education courses will not transfer to Georgia Tech. If you want to be absolutely safe, then take ECON202 or ECON201, HIST202, and PHIL202 at MC. These three courses are required for all engineering majors at Georgia Tech so you can be confident that they will transfer without problems. They also transfer to UMCP and all other universities as well as satisfying AS degree requirements at MC.

Recent Changes at Georgia Tech

The Physics Department at Georgia Tech requires all MC transfer students to complete PHYS161, PHYS262, and PHYS263 to achieve credit for the required engineering physics courses at GT. Please note:  YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED all three engineering physics courses at MC before you transfer or you will have significant problems getting credit for the PHYS course sequence.

MC transfer students who plan to major in mechanical engineering at Georgia Tech should be aware that the MC course ENES 221 Dynamics is NOT equivalent to the Georgia Tech dynamics course for mechanical engineers.  The Georgia Tech course covers two additional topics not covered by MC's ENES 221. So mechanical engineers will need to repeat the Dynamics course at GT.  If you think that this is unfair, contemplate the fact the GT is the 4th ranked engineering school in the country.  It might be better to attend the 4th ranked school and have to repeat one course than some other alternative.  Civil engineering students may transfer ENES 221 as the equivalent of the civil engineering dynamics course at Georgia Tech.

Frostburg State University (BSE Program at Arundel Mills)

Follow the links below for the most recently updated curriculum guides for transfer to Frostburg State University. 

Transfer Resources 

The Academic Common Marketnew window is a tuition-savings program that operates on the premise that if public institutions (not including private institutions) in a student’s home state do not offer a degree program major (undergraduate or graduate) that a student intends on pursuing, then s/he may attend a participating ACM out-of-state institution offering the degree of interest through the ACM and be granted a waiver of out-of-state tuition charges. Several engineering programs are available to students through the Academic Common Market. 

ARTSYSnew window is a computerized system meant to enhance your transfer to any college or University in Maryland.

Be aware that ARTSYS is maintained by USM (University System of Maryland), not by the individual colleges or universities or by the particular department or curriculum at the transfer institution. So, while the information about transferable courses and credits is useful as an overall guide, it is not necessarily accurate and/or up-to-date.

ARTSYS will tell you exactly which programs are available at any of the transfer institutions in Maryland. So you can look for engineering programs at the University of Maryland, College Park or the University of Maryland, Baltimore County or Morgan State University. When you look for details about a particular program, ARTSYS translates the course numbers at the 4-year school to Montgomery College course numbers for your convenience. Obviously this process (using a matrix of courses) works well if the courses are almost exactly the same in content, credits, and prerequisites. For instance, PHYS161-262-263 transfers smoothly as the necessary 11 credits of physics at UMCP. But they don’t transfer as neatly to UMBC since UMBC has TWO required 4-credit engineering physics courses for a total of 8 credits. For up-to-date and accurate information, talk to your engineering program advisor.

The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program (MTAP) new windowis a partnership between the University of Maryland and Montgomery College and several other community colleges in the State of Maryland.

The Maryland Transfer Advantage Program is designed for community college students with a GPA of at least 3.0 who intend to complete a Bachelor's degree at the University of Maryland at College Park.

Students participate in the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program while completing a program at Montgomery College. 

Montgomery College offers several seamless transfer pathways to the University of Maryland, College Park at The Universities of Shady Grove. Earn an AS in General Engineering at MC, then transfer to earn a BS in Biocomputational Engineering or a BS in Embedded Systems and Internet of Things. Learn more about these and other transfer agreements with UMD at USG

Advisors for Engineering Students

Engineering students enroll in a variety of courses in several different disciplines such as engineering science, computer science, physics, chemistry, biology, English and general education. Select a discipline below to find a program advisor.