Getting Started: How to Apply and Register
What follows are the easy steps that will take you inside your first MC class.
Note that these steps are for new students who want to take credit classes. If you're a current credit student, see How to Register for Classes.
Summer and fall 2020 classes will be offered in either a distance learning, structured-remote, or hybrid format due to the coronavirus pandemic. MC is still accepting new applications and new registrations.
Classes are still available, and MC will add more classes as needed.
Enrollment Process for Credit Classes
Complete the admissions application.
- Complete the MC admissions application.
- Submit an official high school transcript. Due to the current COVID-19 situation with campus departments operating remotely, high school transcripts may be submitted electronically by high schools that use Naviance, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we may request an official sealed copy of emailed transcripts for verification purposes.
General admission to Montgomery College is open to anyone who has either graduated from an accredited high school, satisfactorily completed the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) examination, or is at least 16 years of age and has graduated or left secondary school. Standardized test scores (e.g., SAT, ACT) are not required for admission but may be used to determine your course placement.
- Apply for financial aid.
- Apply for Disability Support Services (DSS) if needed. Students must self-identify and are encouraged to contact DSS as soon as possible after admission to the College.
- If you qualify for the Maryland Dream Act, complete the forms.
- Some programs at the College have additional admissions requirements and/or deadlines.
See each program for details:
Set up your MyMC account and your MC email. Then check whether you need to take a placement test.
- Claim your MyMC account: Go to MyMC and click on "Claim Your Account." You will be prompted to enter your MC Student ID along with your M# (nine characters including the M).
- Once you are logged in to MyMC, set up your Montgomery College email account by clicking on the email icon. This is the way MC will communicate with you.
- Based on your academic history, you may be exempt from taking a placement test. Otherwise, you will need to take NextGen ACCUPLACER English, ALEKS Math, or ACCUPLACER ESL. Visit the Assessment Centers page for more information about these tests and to schedule an appointment.
Complete orientation and counseling.
Register for your classes and be sure to submit your payment on time.
Now, let’s prepare for the semester:
- Register for classes by logging in to MyMC, clicking on "Registration," then choosing the icon that says “Register for Classes.” After completing your registration, print your schedule.
- Pay tuition & fees. You can make payments in full online or in person, by mail or by wire. Installment plans and payment by third-party sponsors are also available. Find out more about Payment Options.
- Find out how to obtain your MC Photo ID.
- Obtain your parking permit.
- Purchase/rent your books from the MC Campus Store.
- Attend class!
Summer and fall 2020 classes will be offered in either distance learning, structured-remote, or hybrid format due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- April 20, 2020: Summer course offerings published online for viewing only.
- April 27, 2020: Summer registration opens.
- June 8, 2020: Summer Session I classes begin. Courses will be offered in either distance learning or structured remote teaching format.
- July 11, 2020: Summer Session II classes begin. Courses will be offered in either distance learning or structured remote teaching format.
- August 21, 2020: Summer session II classes end.
- May 11, 2020: Fall course offerings published online for viewing only.
- May 18, 2020: Fall registration opens.
- August 31, 2020: Fall classes begin. Courses will be offered in either distance learning, structured-remote, or hybrid format.
- December 20, 2020: Official end of fall semester.
- Registration dates to be announced.