Science Learning Center
Per Montgomery College’s Coronavirus Response Plan, all learning centers will provide remote instruction until further notice. Please visit our virtual tutoring page to sign up for virtual tutoring.
- Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Fall and Spring Semesters
- Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
The Science Learning Center (SLC) is located in the Pavilion 1 Building (P1), Room 101A, on the Takoma Park Campus. We provide educational services and assistance for students enrolled in biology and physical science courses. Included in these services are staff and student assistants who help you with your questions about material in those courses. You must have an MC ID to use the Science Learning Center.
The SLC also provides access to 14 internet connected computers. The SLC staff directs students to online resources, and provides supplemental software, physical models and microscopes and slides that support course material. The SLC functions as a supportive environment where students can receive academic assistance, study independently, or collaborate with fellow students to understand and master science coursework. Our objective is to support our students and enable them to successfully complete their science courses.
Location: Pavilion 1, Room 101A (campus map and directions)
Phone: 240-567-1594 or 240-567-1429
- All students must sign in on the computer located near the entrance of P1-101A.
- Food is not permitted; drinks are permitted in the Study area but never in the computer room.
- Do as much work as you are able to before asking for help.
- We do not assist with take home tests or LAB calculations.
- Computers are to be used for Science work only.
- Cell phone use in not permitted.
- Valid Montgomery College IDs are required to use materials, e.g. Textbooks, Microscopes, etc.
- Textbooks are loaned and may NOT be taken out of the Science Learning Center.
- Students will be responsible for “lost” textbooks.
The Science Learning Center is a great place to study independently or with a study group.
- The study room contains large tables to accommodate groups.
- There are also Microscopes and Anatomical models for your use.
- You can use one of the 40 internet connected computers to study your science work.
Help is available on a walk-in basis. If we can't provide the support you need, we will make every effort to direct you towards someone who can assist you.
What to do before arriving
- Read assigned pages from textbook
- Review your notes
- Review instructor's powerpoint if available
- Attempt to work through problems independently
What to bring
- Textbook if available
What to expect
- You will need to sign in on the computer when you enter
- Tell the student assistant what kind of help you need
- They will help you or direct you to someone who will
- If a student assistant is not available go to the computer room and ask one of the staff members
- Your time will be limited to 20 minutes if others are waiting for assistance
- We will assist you in working through problems, we do not do them for you
- We do not check answers, do calculations or assist with LABS
What to do after leaving
- Review class notes and homework everyday
- Recopy class notes after each class
- Read textbook or assigned material before going to class
- Find a study group of peers from class
Help from Khan Academynew window
Books are available to borrow with a valid Montgomery College ID. Books may not be borrowed over night.
- Microbiology an Introduction Tortora-Funke-Case Eighth Edition ( 2 copies)
- Anatomy and Physiology Science to Life Jenkins Kemnitz Tortora First Edition ( 2 copies)
- Anatomy and Physiology Science to Life Jenkins Kemnitz Tortora Second Edition ( 1 copy)
- Anatomy and Physiology Science to Life Jenkins Kemnitz Tortora Third Edition ( 2 copies)
- Biology the Dynamic Science Russell Hertz McMillian Second Edition ( 1 copy)
- The Bassett Atlas of Human Anatomy Robert Chase ( 3 copies)
- Atlas of Skeletal Muscles Robert Judith Stone ( 1 copy)
- Clinical Connections Tortora ( 1 copy)
- Biology Campbell Reece Eighth Edition ( 2 copies)
- Biology Student Study Guide Campbell Reece Eighth Edition ( 2 copies)
- Genetics Essentials Pierce ( 1 copy)
- Organic Chemistry 203 Smith 3rd Edition ( 3 copies)
- Organic Chemistry Student Study Guide Solutions Manual 203 Smith 3rd Edition ( 3 copies)
- Chemistry 101 A molecular approach Tro ( 3 copies)
- Chemistry 102 A molecular approach Tro ( 3 copies)
- Chemistry A molecular approach solution manual ( 3 copies)
- Intro to Chemistry 2rd Edition Tro ( 1 copy)
- Intro to Chemistry 3rd Edition Tro ( 2 copies)
- Solution Manual General, Organic, Biological Chemistry Timberlake 3rd Edition ( 2 copies)
- Solution Manual General, Organic, Biological Chemistry Timberlake 2nd Edition ( 1 copy)
- General, Organic, Biological Chemistry Timberlake 2nd Edition ( 1 copy)
- College Physics Knight, Jones, Field 2nd Edition ( 3 copies)
- Physics for Scientist & Engineers Knight 2nd Edition ( 2 copies )
- Physics for Scientist & Engineers Student Workbook Knight 2nd Edition ( 1 copy )
- Physics for Scientist & Engineers Knight 3rd Edition ( 2 copies )
- Parametric Modeling with Creo Parametric Shih ( 1 copy)
- Engineering Mechanics Statics Hibbeler 12th Edition ( 3 copies)