Montgomery College offers two indoor pools for current students, faculty, staff, and community swimmers.
The pools are located at the Rockville and Germantown Campuses. We also offer a variety of aquatics classes including:
- SCUBA diving
- water exercise
Please bring your student ID, faculty/staff ID or swim pass for entry.
About the Facilities
- six lane, 25 yard by six lane, 25 meter, indoor swimming pool
- heated and maintained at 84 degrees Fahrenheit
- pool depth ranges from 3.5 feet to 13 feet
- diving well is equipped with two one-meter diving boards
- locker rooms
- six lane, 25 yard indoor swimming pool
- heated and maintained at 85 degrees Fahrenheit
- pool depth ranges from 3.5 to 13 feet
- handicap accessible
- to access the pool, enter through the locker rooms
The pool schedules are subject to change without notice. Please note, pools are closed when the College is officially closed and for three weeks or more around the month of August for cleaning and maintenance.
Recreational swim hours vary throughout the year depending on pool usage and other factors. Please sign up for MC ALERT for information regarding closings, a delayed opening, or an emergency.
Both College Swimming Pools will be completely closed at least through April 5, 2020 in response to concerns with the novel coronavirus. The College will monitor conditions and may make prudent changes to the re-opening of the facilities. Please sign up for MC Alert for the timeliest updates.
Schedule for March 12 through April 5, 2020
Both College Swimming Pools will be completely closed at least through April 5, 2020 in response to concerns with the novel coronavirus. The College will monitor conditions and make prudent changes to the re-opening of the facilities. Please sign up for MC Alert for the timeliest updates.
Students with a College ID (with current semester sticker) and faculty/staff with a College ID swim free. Passes available to community swimmers include:
- Annual Pass* - $190 (Valid for one year from the date of purchase)
- Fall Semester Pass* - $95 (Valid from the beginning of the fall semester until the beginning of the spring semester; not prorated)
- Spring Semester Pass* - $95 (Valid from the beginning of the spring semester until the beginning of the summer semester; not prorated)
- Summer Semester Pass* - $40 (Valid from the beginning of the summer semester until the August closure; not prorated)
- Family Pass (for use only at the Germantown Pool) - $5 per visit, "Punch" pass may be purchased in multiple increments; one "punch" per person, per visit
* All passes, except the Family Pass, are for swimmers 18 years of age or older.
All passes are non-transferable and non-refundable.
Passes are available for purchase at the Cashier's Office on each campus:
- Germantown Cashier's Office, SA 105, 240-567-7836
- Rockville Cashier's Office, SV 106, 240-567-5342
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring Cashier's Office, ST 213, 240-567-1526
Visit our locations webpage for directions and maps. Please call each office for hours of operation. Hours may be extended during class registration periods.
Parking for community swimmers is available in the student parking lots on campus. Community swimmers must present a current pool pass to the Safety & Security Office to obtain a temporary parking permit. Visit Public Safety for information about locations and hours.
Our dedicated and experienced pool staff monitors all aquatic activities in accordance with Montgomery County Health Department regulations, including:
- Providing lifeguards
- Testing water chemistry
- Providing first aid
- Maintaining a clean, hazard-free environment
- Keeping our safety certifications current
Montgomery College offers a variety of aquatics classes to help you reach your goals. View the class schedule to see when and where these aquatics classes are offered. For more information on registering for a class, view Getting Started: How to Apply and Register.
PHED 120 - Beginning Swimming
The beginning skills for the non-swimmer. Designed to build confidence and develop a water-safe student. Two hours each week. Formerly PE 129.
PHED 121 – Intermediate Swimming
Designed for students who have some swimming experience. Front crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke, overarm sidestroke, and inverted breaststroke. Two hours each week. Formerly PE 130.
PHED 125 – Lifeguard Training
To teach lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon satisfactory completion of the course, the student will receive American Red Cross Certifications in Lifeguard Training, Standard First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED Essentials, and Prevention of Disease Transmission. PREREQUISITES: Must be at least 15 years of age and must pass a swimming proficiency test on first day of class. Assessment level: AELR 930/READ 099. Two hours each week. Formerly PE 134.
PHED 128 – Water Exercise
Stimulating exercises providing for optimum fitness. Water resistance for developing muscle tone, increased endurance, and figure improvement. Water buoyancy for aiding relaxation, endurance, flexibility, and figure improvement. Stress and tension release through creative exercises in shallow water. Not a swimming course. Assessment levels: AELW 940/ENGL 002, ALER 920/READ 095. Two hours each week. Formerly PE 135.
PHED 131 – Swimming for Fitness
An individualized exercise program to develop cardiorespiratory fitness. Training methodology and conditioning principles applied to distance swimming. Emphasis on a personalized training program. This course does not include stroke technique. PREREQUISITE: Swimming proficiency. Assessment level: AELR 930/READ 099. Two hours each week. Formerly PE 137.
The swimming pools may be available for rent for specific uses (e.g. competitive youth swim team practice, swim meets, and similar appropriate activities). Please contact the swimming pool manager at the specific campus swimming pool of interest. A lifeguard will be provided whenever the pool is in use.
Germantown Campus PoolRecorded Hours: 240-567-7891