TESOL Training Institute
The TESOL Institute Provides
- Structured opportunities for participants to obtain theoretical and practical training in Teaching English to Speakers to Other Language (TESOL).
- Theoretical training in the principles of linguistics and language pedagogy that underpin quality instruction.
- Practical training that includes the requirement in each class for participants to engage in classroom observations and/or volunteer or professional teaching for approximately ten hours per course.
- A significant academic challenge for participants in a supportive learning environment.
- A career pathway for increased employment opportunities in the field of TESOL that include adult education programs at nonprofits, government educational, businesses, and overseas organizations.
The TESOL Institutes Requires
- A bachelor’s degree as a prerequisite to admission.
- A TOEFL score of 575 or higher for non-native English speakers.
- A deep commitment to providing quality instruction for ESOL learners.
- A significant willingness and preparedness to engage in challenging academic work.
- A commitment of personal time, energy, and resources.
- Successful completion of the three core noncredit courses and one additional course each running 40 hours, in: Methods of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Required); Assessment and Evaluation in the ESOL Classroom (Required); Understanding Second Language Acquisition (Required) Teaching Reading Skills to ESOL Learners; Grammar and Linguistics Rules for an Integrated Approach to Adult ESOL.
- Successful completion of approximately ten hours of classroom observations.
- Completion of all classes with a grade of “B” or higher in order to earn a Certificate of Completion.
Please attend one of these information sessions for more information. Please do NOT bring children. TESOL printable flyer (PDF, )
- January 9, 2021
- February 6, 2021
- March 6, 2021
- April 3, 2021
- May 1, 2021
- June 5, 2021
information sessions will we held online via Zoom at 9:00 a.m.
- July 10, 2021
- August 7, 2021
- September 11, 2021
- October 2, 2021
- November 6, 2021
- December 4, 2021
Summer information sessions delivery method at this time is TBD.
For Winter, Spring class schedules look at the TESOL flyer (PDF, )
Location: For now due to COVID, the information sessions are online. When allowed, they will resume at the Westfield South Office Building, 2nd floor, 11002 Veirs Mill Road, Wheaton, MD 20902. Disability access for this leased site is on the same side as the movie theatre entrance. For more information regarding disability access at this site, or if any individuals are facing accessibility issues anywhere in Westfield South Center, please call 240-567-8841.
Nancy NewtonSpecial Programs Director