Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science
On this webpage, you will find links to many resources, including information on our various course offerings and placement information; our locations, faculty and staff; our programs, certificates, and advising information; and our three Learning Centers. While you are here, please check out our upcoming events. We hope you get engaged with mathematics, statistics, and data science at Montgomery College.
Our unit is comprised of three campuses with three department chairs, over 50 full-time faculty and roughly 100 part-time faculty members, and serves over 20,000 students a year. We pride ourselves in the quality of education that we provide to all our students as well as the opportunities we give those that want to engage in mathematical research or simply connect with their instructor.
Milton Nash is the Dean of the Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science area. He earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, master's degree from Princeton University, and Ph.D. from the University of Georgia. All of his degrees are in Mathematics. Dr. Nash was a recipient of the 2019 Excellence in Equity award. This award recognizes employees whose work has contributed to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity either in the local community or at Montgomery College.
As an educator, Dr. Nash has been guided by a belief in the potential of all people to thrive as students of mathematics. He believes that the study of math can be empowering and it can enhance our lives in innumerable ways. In 2016, he co-authored an innovation grant - Academic Inclusion Networks - whose purpose was to intentionally welcome students to their studies in Montgomery College STEM programs, to provide additional supports to students who might benefit, and to enhance their chances for success in their chosen STEM majors. More recently he has worked to ensure that all students have access to quality math coursework that is relevant to their lives and appropriate to their degree paths.
Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science Department - Germantown
Department Chair: Luc Desir
Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science - Rockville
Department Chair: Ingrid V. Brown-Scott
Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science Department - Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Department Chair: Kim Fouche
Degrees and Certificates
Course syllabi are coming soon!
- MATH 017 - Elements of Statistics Support: Sample Syllabus
- MATH 020 - Survey of College Mathematics Support: Sample Syllabus
- MATH 045 - Foundations of Algebra Support: Sample Syllabus 1 | Sample Syllabus 2
- MATH 050 - Foundations of Algebra
- MATH 092 - Foundations of Mathematical Reasoning
- MATH 098 - Introduction to Trigonometry
- MATH 115 - Mathematical Ideas
- MATH 117 - Elements of Statistics
- MATH 120 - Survey of College Mathematics
- MATH 130 - Elements of Mathematics I: Mathematical Reasoning and Number Systems
- MATH 131 - Elements of Mathematics II: Geometry and Algebra
- MATH 132 - Elements of Mathematics III: Probability, Statistics, and Problem Solving
- MATH 150 - Elementary Applied Calculus I
- MATH 151 - Elementary Applied Calculus II
- MATH 165 - Precalculus
- MATH 170 - Calculus for Life Sciences I
- MATH 171 - Calculus for Life Sciences II
- MATH 181 - Calculus I
- MATH 182 - Calculus II
- MATH 206 - MATLAB for Engineers
- MATH 207 - Introduction to Discrete Structures
- MATH 217 - Biostatistics
- MATH 280 - Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 282 - Differential Equations
- MATH 284 - Linear Algebra