Biotechnology Boot Camp
Free Biotechnology Boot Camp Fills Critical Need—Targets Displaced Workers—for Local COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing
Montgomery College offered a free, four-week biotechnology boot camp in January, sponsored by WorkSource Montgomery to quickly train displaced workers for entry-level bio-manufacturing jobs. The training targeted displaced hospitality workers and others who have experienced job loss because of the pandemic.
Two birds, one "boot camp": Biotech training helps laid off workers fill needed roles
WJLA Channel 7 News — A local college is stepping up to fill two needs: To help some of the many workers who have lost their jobs in the pandemic, and to fill hundreds of available jobs in the biotech industry.
This sophisticated lab may look like it's in a big biotech company with experienced scientists, but it's actually on the campus of Montgomery College, with students in attendance like Maiha Thompson. View the Biotechnology Boot Camp Videonew window.
The bootcamp offered intense face-to-face, hands-on training in January. At this time, the exact date for running the next bootcamp has not been determined although we are considering an early June start date. This program is designed to prepare participants for entry-level positions at interested local biotechnology companies. The class, offered in person at the Bioscience Education Center on the Germantown Campus, meets four days a week for four hours a day, totaling 64 contact hours.
This has been a partnership between Montgomery College, WorkSource Montgomery, and Quality Biological and other local biotechnology companies.
- Montgomery College provides curriculum, faculty, space, and excellent training at the BioScience Education building.
- WorkSource Montgomery is the county's work source provider. They identified the students from their pool of job seekers, funded students, an provide job search support for students completers of the boot camp.
- Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation also provided funding through WorkSource Montgomery.
- Quality Biological and other industry helped to develop the curriculum and are planning to interview completers for hire.
- It is important to note that acceptance, attendance, and completion of the Biotechnology Bootcamp is not a promise or a guarantee of employment.
Biotechnology Boot Camp Inquiries:
If you are inquiring about the tuition free Biotechnology Bootcamp sponsored by EARN and WorkSource Montgomery please direct your inquiries to Mr. Mike Gove (Michael.email@example.com).
For more information about this program visit MCBlogs/Biotechnology-Bootcamps.