English in the American Workplace
Our English in the American Workplace (EAW) classes are the best starting place for students who have a high school diploma, equivalent, or GED®, and need more practice with their English skills. The class will prepare you to be successful in vocational, Work + certification, or credit classes. Students will improve their English skills, make connections to professionals, learn computer skills, and skills that will help them be successful in the American workplace
The EAW class will help prepare students for our Vocational ESOL classes and/or be ready for a job. Students learn to build and develop career and professional connections at the same time they work on their language and workplace skills. This course gives students more practice with speaking, listening, and writing skills to so they can be successful in our vocational and certificate programs.
Interested in these programs?Learn More: WorkPlus! Class Information Form
Fill out this form, and you will receive information about upcoming courses and updates to orientation and registration dates.
- You must live in Maryland to take these classes.
- You must be at least 18 years old to take these classes.
- You must have Intermediate level English or higher
- All EAW classes are free for eligible students
- You must attend an online information and application session
- You must take an in-person CASAS test to be placed in any class (online or in-person classes).
- Students with F1 or J1 visa cannot take classes in this program. Contact ESL-Rockville@montgomerycollege.edu, if you have a F1 or J1 visa and want to take ESOL classes.
English in the American Workplace Class Schedules
All Classes are online via Zoom:
Morning and Afternoon and evening Sessions Available:
Monday – Friday: Oct 31-Dec 15, 2023, Time: 9:05 a.m. - 11:05 a.m.
Monday – Friday: Oct 31-Dec 15, 2023, Time: 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Fall 2, 2023 Application Information
You will need to take the reading and listening placements test in person. Information about the testing will be given during the online information and application session.
Note: If you are currently taking a class, you must talk to your teacher about how to apply in class.
- Choose the time you want to take the class.
- Register to attend the online information and application session for that class.
- Attend the required information and application session.
- During the information session, you will:
- Complete the class application form.
- Sign-up to take the in-person placement tests at one of the Montgomery College campuses.
- Tuesday, October 10, 2023, at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, October 12, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
You must register to attend the orientation. Scan the QR code or click on the link below to register.Register for English for the American Workplace Online Information Session
After the orientation, you will need to take the reading placement tests in person. Information about testing will be given during the orientation session