Skip to main content

PACE: Program for the Advancement to College English

What Is PACE?

The PACE program helps new students earn college credits in ENGL 101 their first semester!

Who is qualified to take PACE?

Students are eligible if they take the Accuplacer and place out of reading but test in to IERW 001 or IERW 002.

What do I do need to do?
  1. Take the Accuplacer.
  2. If your scores meet the criteria you will be notified, and you should complete a writing sample at one of the MC Assessment centersnew window.
  3.  Once the English Department has contacted you (within 7 to 10 days) with your placement,
    • go to the English-Reading department on any campus,
    • bring the email from the PACE coordinator, and 
    • we can help you register in person for ENGL 101A PACE.
  4. Have a great semester!
Can I register for any section of ENGL 101 or ENGL 101A? 

No.  You can only register for sections specifically designated as ENGL 101A PACE.

How do I register for  PACE?

The English and Reading department can help you.  You will need to go in person:

  • Germantown, Paul Peck Academic and Innovation Building, room 123 (PK 123, mapnew window)
  • Rockville, Macklin Tower, room 526 (MT 526, mapnew window)
  • Takoma Park/Silver Spring Pavilion 3, room 122 (P3 122, mapnew window)
Where can I get more information about PACE?

 You can: 

  • Contact Prof. Miriam Simon ( collegewide PACE coordinator

  • Call any of the English and Reading departments:
    • Germantown, 240-567-2012
    • Rockville, 240-567-7409 or 240-567-5147
    • Takoma Park/Silver Spring, 240-567-3886