Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents and Families

Whether your child or family member is thinking about becoming an MC student or is already enrolled, we know you want to be involved!

To help you, we compiled a list of answers to frequently asked questions.

Please feel free to contact the College for any additional questions or information you need.



Information for Prospective Students

Why should I or my family member enroll at MC?

Whether you are looking for a degree or new job skills, Montgomery College can help you make your move! Montgomery College offers a quality education at an affordable price. You will save nearly 50% on tuition costs compared to a public four-year university. We have 100+ seamless transfer opportunities to top universities across the country. You reduce the cost – not the quality – of your undergraduate degree by starting at MC. You can take classes during the day, in the evenings, on the weekends, or entirely online. MC has three campus locations (Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring) and a vibrant campus life with more than 130 specialized clubs, arts, athletics, and cultural groups. Our faculty members and staff bring their knowledge and passion to the classroom, lab, and learning centers. We will help you define and reach your goals, whatever they might be.

Where can I find information about events on campus?

Visit the Future Students page to learn more about events for prospective students and their families. Many events include sessions and workshops specifically for parents.

Where can I find information campus tours?

Our Raptor Central staff offer tours at each campus. You can sign up for a tour online. You can also view our virtual tour of each campus.

How can I apply and register at MC?

Visit our Getting Started webpage for information on how to apply and register.

Can I register for my son or daughter?

No. Each student is responsible for his or her own registration.

What vaccinations or immunizations are required to enroll at MC?

There is no vaccination requirements for students unless they are enrolling in specific health fields.

Will my family member need a computer for school?

Yes, but if they do not have a computer, they have full access to our computer labs. There are open labs on each campus, as well as the library.

Where and when can my family member purchase textbooks and supplies?

Students can buy new and used textbooks and supplies right at the MC Bookstore located on each of the three campuses. Books can also be purchased online through the store.

How is parking on campus?

There is student parking on each campus. Students can park in any of the white-lined spaces, but must have a parking permit. You can obtain your permit after registering and paying for class.  

How can I get to campus?

Whether you're driving to class or taking public transportation, our three conveniently located campuses are easily accessible—and MC students ride the county's extensive Ride On Bus system for no additional fee. Each campus is accessible from the Metro or bus. The MC campus shuttle provides free transportation between each campus. Additional information is available on our parking and transportation webpage.

What transfer opportunities are available to MC students?

MC has a long history of successfully preparing students for transfer to four-year institutions. Earning a degree at MC is the first step on your way to earning a bachelor's degree. A bachelor’s degree is often necessary for competitive jobs and for graduate school. Earning your associate's degree and transferring provides you with a strong educational foundation and saves you money. Learn more by exploring transfer planning.

What do I need to know about safety and security at MC?

Montgomery College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment at all times that will support and enhance the institution's educational programs and services. The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is responsible for the protection of the College community, first aid, emergency assistance, 24-hour escort service (upon request), enforcement of campus parking regulations, and the lost and found service. Officers on each campus are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can sign up for MC alerts on the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management webpage.

Tuition and Financial Aid

What financial aid opportunities are available at MC?

Montgomery College is committed to making higher education affordable and helping students find the financial aid they need to pay for college. The College offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, student loans, and work-study programs. The Financial Aid Office can assist with any questions.

How can I get information on financial aid?

Information concerning financial aid at MC is available on the Financial Aid webpage, or you can contact the Financial Aid Office at 240-567-5100 or

When will my family member find out if he or she has received financial aid?

The Financial Aid Office will start awarding first time students in April, if all paperwork is on file. Students must login to his/her MyMC account to download, complete, and turn in the required forms.  

Where can students view billing information?

Students can view billing information in MyMC under the Pay My Bill tab. 

Information for Current Students

Is tutoring available?

Yes - and it is free! There are tutors available on each campus and at the MC Learning Centers, which will ensure academic success while attending MC.

When do students get their grades?

Grades are usually available two to three weeks after final grade reports are due in the Registrar's Office.

Where should my family member go for academic advice or questions?

Each campus has Counselors available to speak with your students. MC recommends that students meet with a Counselor before signing up for classes each semester to ensure he/she is still on track to successfully complete his/her educational goals.  

Is there an academic calendar available for specific semester dates?

Yes. MC publishes the College's official academic calendar online and in our catalogs.

My son or daughter cannot access MyMC. What should you do?

Call the IT Service Desk 240-567-7222 to get the username or password reset.

My family member has become ill and will not be able to finish the semester; what do we need to do?

The procedure they need to use is an official withdrawal. A student desiring to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period should initiate withdrawal procedures with a counselor. Withdrawals are not official until the withdrawal form is completed and given to the Admission’s Office. Withdrawal deadlines are published in the official College Catalog and on the College's website.  

My family member did not attend last semester and would like to return; what does they need to do?

They must apply for re-admission. Please visit the College's Raptor Central or Admissions Office.  

My family member has a disability. What assistance is available?

Disability Support Services (DSS) provides accommodations and support services for students with documented disabilities, and educates the larger College community on disability related issues. A full list of accommodations and services is online.

What career services does MC offer?

Montgomery College offers a range of services to students and alumni to support the career planning process. This includes access to career exploration information, opportunities for hands-on experience and support for the job search process. You can find additional information on the career services webpage.

Access to Student Information

Why can't I receive my family member’s grades?

The Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) protects student information. Your student can give you access to those records, but the College cannot speak with you on behalf of your student unless permission has been granted. Learn more about FERPA

Why can’t I get my family member’s final grades or a copy of their class schedule?

When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending a postsecondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student, regardless of who is paying the tuition bill. FERPA is a federal law that limits access to student education records, including grades and class schedules. This means that Montgomery College cannot tell you when and where a student’s class is being held or if a student is present. Your best bet is to maintain open communication with your son/daughter about their academic progress at Montgomery College.

How can I pay my family member’s account if you can’t even tell me how much they still owe?

Have the student log-on to MyMC. MyMC provides students access to registration, their account balance, and allows students to sign up for a payment plan. MyMC also provides students with access to their earned grades and current class schedule.

Can I have a log-in to my son/daughter’s MyMC account?

Montgomery College does not have third party access to MyMC. Montgomery College students are advised not to share their log-in information with anyone, as all students are held fiscally and legally responsible for actions taken through MyMC.

Can you send me a letter certifying that my child is enrolled as a full-time student at Montgomery College?

Often parents need letters of certification about their son/daughter’s enrollment to provide an employer for tuition benefits or insurance companies to continue coverage and/or receive a discounted rate. The Office of Records and Registration processes these requests on a daily basis. Students should drop off the appropriate form to the Office of Records and Registration for processing.  The Office of Records and Registration also produces enrollment verification letters.

How can my son/daughter provide me access to his/her student record?

The Office of Records and Registration has a "Permission to Release/Withhold Education Record Information" form. Students may complete this form at the Office of Records and Registration. The form allows students to designate third parties who may have full access to their student records. Should a parent wish to take access a student's record, they must come in person to the Office of Records and Registration and present a picture ID and their most recent Federal Tax Return verifying that the student is a legal, tax dependent.

Please note: Parental access to a student’s record does not include current academic progress. This means that you may be provided access to grades earned, Montgomery College will not provide progress reports to parents for the current semester. Your best bet is to maintain open communication with your son/ daughter about their academic progress at Montgomery College.

Can my son/daughter permanently block my access to his/her student record?

Yes, any student at Montgomery College may submit the "Permission to Release/Withhold Education Record Information" form. This form provides students the legal right to request directory information be withheld from all individuals, including parents. To that end, it is best to maintain open communication with your son or daughter about their academic progress at Montgomery College.

If you need additional information about Montgomery College, please contact Raptor Central at  or 240-567-5000. If you are on campus, you can visit one of our Raptor Centrals for additional information.