Open educational resources (OERs) increase access to education and empower students in the learning process. Open pedagogy - a component of OERs - places the student at the center of that learning process in a more engaging, collaborative learning environment in order to achieve social justice in the community. Montgomery College is fully committed to social justice as evidenced by the Academic Master Plan and the Middle States Re-accreditation Self Study.
This Open Pedagogy Fellowship sponsored by ELITE is designed to assist faculty with creating three renewable assignments (all of which will have a Creative Commons license) and bring about awareness of Student Life’s IMPACT MC program. IMPACT MC is a service-learning, leadership program designed to help students become agents of change in their own communities.
David Wiley defines renewable assignments as those assignments students complete that add value to their world. Disposable assignments, according to Wiley, are those that students are likely to throw away once they have been graded. The conceptual framework on which this fellowship is based are the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are a set of 17 goals that address a wide range of social issues. The SDGs are designed to achieve and maintain social justice.
The creation of renewable assignments and the partnership with IMPACT MC will begin in Summer 2018. A minimum of two renewable assignments will be deployed in each of the classes during Fall 2018. A faculty reflection piece will be submitted at the end of the Fall semester.
Fellowship teams should be two people from different disciplines and different campuses so as to maximize student impact. It is anticipated that 10 teams will be selected. Each participant will receive one (1) ESH to participate. Participants will be required to attend a kick-off meeting and three meetings throughout the summer.
Changing Lives (Business, English)
Education Equity (Education, Spanish)
Mental Health (Psychology, ELAP)
- Writing a Proposal (PDF, )
- Creating a Video or Storytelling Essay with Pictures (PDF, )
- Disseminating Knowledge and Raising Awareness (PDF, )
Reducing Inequality in our Community (Communication Studies, Business)
- National Portrait Gallery Assignment (PDF, )
- Social Justice and Entrepreneurships Assignment (PDF, )
- Steps for Successful Service-Learning Assignment (PDF, )
Responsible Production and Consumption (Chemistry, Spanish)
- Photo Journal of Local Recycling Practices of Plastics: Pictures and Thoughts (PDF, )
- Cultivating Responsible Use and Recycling Practices of Plastic Products (PDF, )
- Creative Approaches to Reducing Global Plastic Contamination (PDF, )