Lifelong Learning Institute
Lifelong Learning Institute is committed to creating and fostering a variety of intellectually stimulating educational opportunities for Montgomery County residents age 50 and over. However, adults of any age may register for these classes. Students age 60+ pay fee only for courses.
- Spring 2023 Registration opens November 28th
- Lifelong Learning Spring 2023 Brochure available soon!
- At a Glance Spring 2023 schedules, now available:
- Lifelong Learning Course Evaluation Form
- Supply List: Artnew window
- Supply List: Readingnew window
- Supply List: Wellnessnew window
You can register via mail (WDCE Registrations, 51 Mannakee Street, CC220, Rockville, MD 20850), fax 240-683-6945 or in person at the Rockville Campus, Germantown Campus, the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus and Gaithersburg Business Training Center. WDCE Customer Service locations & hoursnew window.
You can also register via online. Please note: If you are aged 60+ and your class is eligible for tuition waiver, you have to register via fax, in-person or mail to receive tuition waiver for the first time. After the initial registration, you can register online. If you have questions or need assistance with online registration, please contact our Customer Service at 240-567-5188.
Masks/face coverings are required in classrooms. For more information about COVID vaccines visit Return to Campus Information.new window
Sign up for MC Alerts!new window You will be notified of weather closings or power outages on your cell or email.
Lifelong Learning Institute
There are more than 140 classes held in-person or structured remote throughout the county, either on a campus or at other facilities such as county libraries or high schools. Check the Lifelong Learning Brochure (PDF, ) or the Schedule of Lifelong Learning classesnew window to see which classes are offered this semester. Classes vary every semester. Want to learn more about classes and special events? Join the Lifelong Learning Mailing listnew window and we will send you quarterly updates. Lifelong Learning Course Evaluation Form.
Holiday Cookies on Tuesday December 6th at the MC Marriott Hospitality Kitchen
Learn to bake cookies from around the world to incorporate into your cookie exchange this year. Explore the flavors of Germany (Pfeffernuse), England (St. Catherine’s Cookies), Switzerland (Zimtsterne), and the classic American Chocolate Chip Cookie. Explore baking terms, ingredients, equipment, and tools. Employ safe food handling practices using contemporary guidelines. Understand how to read a recipe in metric measurements. This is a hands-on class. Tuition includes the cost of ingredients. The class will take place at MC Marriott Hospitality Kitchen in Campus Center. Course: LLI762, 2.5 Hours, Crn# 24653; Cost: $55; 1 Session, Tuesday, 12/6; 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Rockville Campus, at MC Marriott Hospitality Kitchen.
Highlights of new Spring Classes
- A Taste of History: Most Beloved American Regional Culinary Treasures
- American Presidents: From the White House to the Battlefield
- War Crimes: Case Studies in Definition, Apprehension and Punishment
- What Goes Around, Comes Around: Cycles in American History and Economy
- Empress Maria Theresa: The Empire that Shaped Modern Europe
- Connecting with Our Chesapeake Bay
- Exploring Local History and Nature
- Mysteries in Time: From The Name of the Rose to the Dante Club
- How to Write and Self-Publish Your Children's Book
- Short Stories of the Early 20th Century
- Writing the Short Story: An Introduction to Creative Writing
- From Grand to Comic: A History and Appreciation of Opera
The Lifelong Learning Institute is seeking talented presenters and enthusiastic instructors to teach online and face-to-face: Archaeology, Astronomy, Biology, Botany, World Cultures, Philosophy, Journalism, Food/Wine History, Human Physiology and others. If interested, please contact Natasha Sacks, Program Director, at Natasha.Sacks@montgomerycollege.edu
The Literary Cafe will be held remotely during COVID. Zoom still allows for lively discussions. This term, readings vary each term. Visit the Literary Cafe for the complete Literary Cafe Reading List (PDF, ) .