World Language Classes
World Language classes can help you realize your goal of learning American Sign Language*, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian*, Japanese*, Korean*, Portuguese, Spanish without worrying about grades or big exams. The goal of our language courses is to help you communicate in the language as quickly as possible. Part of every class is devoted to conversation practice; grammar is taught to support this goal of communication. You will be delighted with how much you are able to say, even after the first class. You can choose from a variety of locations, days and times. Most classes are held on campus or in your community.
- Visit the World Languages brochure (PDF, ) to see the current term course offerings and course descriptions.
- Visit the World Languages Schedule of classes to see what classes are currently available for registration.
- Textbook Information, visit MC Books & More.
- Parking Information: You will need a parking permit if your class is on the Rockville, Germantown or Takoma Park / Silver Spring Campus. Visit Parking Information for parking permit instructions.
Most courses are 12 weeks long, starting around mid-September and mid-February. In addition, we have limited summer offerings in June and July. Check the World Language Class Schedule and registration information. If you don't see a class listed is has either already started, or is not being offered this semester.
*We offer a limited number of seats in credit classes (co-listed) in these languages: American Sign Language, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, and Korean. Students in co-listed classes will complete the same assignments as credit students in the course. Co-listed classes are marked as such in our catalog and share the same pricing as credit courses. All co-listed courses are offered on campus.
Customized contract training is available. We can analyze your training needs and design a language program that addresses your specific requirements. For further information contact Camille Cauley, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 240-567-5515.
Top Questions Students Ask:
Ask yourself: If I am in a situation where I must speak the language, how well am I able to understand and be understood? Then read through the Course Descriptions to find the level that seems most appropriate. Not all classes/levels are offered every semester. Check the Class Schedule and registration information for current classes. When you go to the first class you may confer with the instructor and then transfer to a more appropriate level if necessary. You may seek additional assistance by contacting the World Languages Program.
To help you make the correct decision, we have compiled a general guide to our Spanish classes. Visit Which Spanish Class is right for me?
If you are still unsure, you may seek additional assistance by contacting the World Languages Department.
Send an email to email@example.com stating which CRN# you are currently registered in and which one you wish to transfer to. Some restrictions may apply – including but not limited to: seat availability, instructor permission, number of sessions already completed. Additional fees may apply if the course prices are different.
All foreign language classes with a course code beginning with ‘LAN’ require textbooks. Text costs are in addition to course fees. Most texts will be used for two or more years of study.
- On campus classes – follow Montgomery College Closures and Delays information on TV or radio.
- Or sign Up for Montgomery College Alerts for your mobile phone.
- MCPS classes – sign up for Alert Montgomery > Community Use of Public Facilities Alert. (Montgomery County websitenew window). Please note that MCPS schools may be open during the day, but close for evening activities, so be sure to listen carefully. Our staff will also make every attempt to email the class roster to inform you if your class is cancelled. Please make sure your contact information is up-to-date!
- Bethesda Chevy Chase Regional Services Center/ Lawton Community Center – follow Montgomery County Public Schools. If there is a delay, classes starting before 12 noon will be cancelled and rescheduled. Classes starting after 12 noon will meet as scheduled.
Notice due to COVID19 there have been schedule modifications. Visit Schedule Updates for more information.