Celebrating Excellence in Equity and Inclusion
2023 Excellence in Equity Award
The Excellence in Equity awards recognize and celebrate current students, faculty, staff, and administrators who demonstrate a commitment to social justice, equity, inclusion, antiracism, and diversity. These individuals serve as leaders through their active participation and contributions in making Montgomery College and/or their local community more inclusive by creating an environment where all individuals are valued, respected, and feel welcomed.
Criteria and Eligibility
A total of nine awards will be given: one full-time faculty; one part-time faculty; two staff; one administrator; and one student from each campus including Workforce Development and Continuing Education (WDCE).
Criteria - Satisfy Two or More
- Demonstrates work to promote social justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity across the College as an advocate, activist, teacher, or learner
- Facilitates opportunities to learn and bring people from different backgrounds in the College together
- Participates, develops, and promotes programs or events that support equity awareness and intercultural engagement efforts
- Demonstrates a high level of commitment to equity in service, teaching, and scholarship
- Understands and demonstrates how equity and diversity are integral to the mission and values of Montgomery College
- Displays commitment to valuing equity and inclusion above and beyond assigned job duties
- Serves as an advocate for the interests of under-served populations
Employee focus: The creation of opportunities for historically underserved populations of employees (faculty and staff) to have equal access to professional growth opportunities and resource networks that are capable of closing the demographic disparities in leadership roles in all spheres of institutional functioning.
Historically underserved or underrepresented populations include but are not limited to: first-generation, low income, students of color, adult students; marginalized orientations, gender identities, and intersex students; students with second-language backgrounds; undocumented students; veterans; students with disabilities; students with dependents; foster care youth; and formerly and currently incarcerated students.
To be eligible, students must be currently enrolled at the College on a full or part-time basis and full-time and part-time faculty and staff must be currently employed by the College.
The award will be announced on April 12, 2023 during Spring Equity Week (April 10 - 13, 2023).
The award shall consist of a certificate of commendation for each individual that
will be signed by the President and the Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer and a personalized
"Pass the Baton" award. Their name shall also be included on the Excellence in Equity
All award submissions are due by February 28, 2023.
Nominations are reviewed by a committee comprised of members selected from each of the four-campus governance councils, a member of student council, representation from the staff council from Central Services, and representation from the Office of Equity and Inclusion.
Students, faculty, staff, and administrators are welcome to fill out the Equity Awards Nomination Form by February 28, 2023.
See Montgomery College Awards policy (PDF, ) .
Previous Excellence in Equity Award Winners
- Full-time faculty – Dr. Naliya Kaya; Professor Jose Medrano
- Part-time faculty – Dr. Gadis Effendi; Professor Richard Gottfried
- Staff – Kim McGettigan
- Staff – Dr. Nancy Newton
- Staff – Angela Rhoe
- Student – Mertinu Geleta
- Student – Patrick Ibanez
- Student – Ariel Nochez
- Student – Abby Oseguera
- Full-time faculty – Dr. Katya Salmi
- Part-time faculty – Charles Washington
- Staff – Dr. Lucinda Grinnell
- Staff – Kimberly Jones
- Posthumous – Dr. Mohibullah Durrani
- Student – Richelle Adu
- Student – Teresa Doley
- Student – Adjo Evonlah
- Full-time faculty – Ellen Olmstead
- Part-time faculty – Amy Carratini
- Staff – Martha Carolina Galeano
- Staff – Laura White
- Administrator - Donna Kinerney
- Germantown Student – Syed Fasih
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring – Student Marbelis Fuentes
- Rockville Student – Matthew Watson
- Full-time faculty – Dr. Esther Schwartz-McKinzie
- Part-time faculty – TaraTetrault
- Staff – Enas Elhanafi
- Staff – Tracee Matthias
- Department Chair – Dr. Milton Nash
- Germantown Student – Ludivine Kom Liapoe
- Rockville Student – Carol Faye Wells
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring Student – Rashani Ward Williamson
- WDCE Student – Henry Martin