Equity and Inclusion
The Office of Equity and Inclusion at Montgomery College upholds a culture that values civil discourse, a safe environment for sharing, and one that observes, measures, and rewards success so that we can create an extraordinary educational institution.
We will promote and create a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness.
Read our Roadmap to Success (PDF, ) .
2021 Excellence in Equity Awards
The Excellence in Equity awards recognize and celebrate students, faculty, staff, and administrators who demonstrate exemplary accomplishments in advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These individuals serve as leaders through their active participation and contributions in making Montgomery College and/or their local community more inclusive by creating an environment where all individuals are valued, respected, and feel welcomed.
Here are the 2021 Excellence in Equity Award winners:
Posthumous – Dr. Mohibullah Durrani
Students – Richelle Adu, Teresa Doley, Adjo Evonlah
Staff – Dr. Lucinda Grinnell, Kimberly Jones
Full-time faculty – Dr. Katya Salmi
Part-time faculty – Charles Washington
What We Do
The charge of the Office of Equity and Inclusion is to build a program that addresses ten critical areas of work:
- Student Access, Inclusion, and Equity around the Student Completion Agenda
- Climate and Culture Assessment, Responsiveness, and Action
- Planning, Benchmarking, and Best Practices
- Staffing Resourcing and Succession Planning
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Promotion and Retention of Employees
- Faculty Teaching, Research, and Curriculum
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programming and Policies
- External Community Engagement, Collaboration, and Linkages
- Business Practices, Workforce/Career Pathways, and Procurement
Equity for Students, Employees, Business Partners
Access and Achievement
- We aspire to be welcoming, equitable, inclusive, and culturally competent.
- We are polite in our interactions by:
- greeting and acknowledging others;
- saying please and thank you;
- respecting others’ time, space, and individuality;
- being direct, sensitive, and honest.
- We listen for common ground.
- We treat each other with respect by:
- welcoming feedback with an open mind and giving others the benefit of the doubt;
- acknowledging the contributions of others and recognizing successes;
- acknowledging the impact of our behavior on others with a caring heart.
- We Address incivility in a polite, courteous, and responsible manner.
Inspired by Mastering Civility by Christine Porat
Resources and More Information
- Equity and Inclusion White Paper (PDF, )
- HSI White Paper (PDF, )
- Student Centers White Paper (PDF, )
- Implementing Search Advocates in Our Recruitment and Hiring Process (PDF, )
- LGBTQ+ Inclusion Spaces on College Campuses (PDF, )
- Timeline: President’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Inclusion (PDF, )
- MC Pride
- 2019 MHEC Cultural Diversity Report (PDF, )
- 2018 MHEC Cultural Diversity Report (PDF, )
- Cycle of Change (PDF, )
- Pizza for Your Thoughts (PDF, )
- Civility Norms (PDF, )
- Equity and Inclusion Logo Approval Form (PDF, )
- Creating Inclusive College Campuses for Black Mennew window
- African American Scholarshipsnew window
News and Information
Equity and Inclusion Staff
Sharon WilderChief Equity and Inclusion Officer
Senior Vice President Liaisons for the President’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Inclusion (PACEI)