Equity and Inclusion
2020 Equity Summit: "Changing Ourselves, Changing Our Culture"
The Office of Equity and Inclusion at Montgomery College upholds a culture that values civil discourse, a safe environment for sharing, and one that observes, measures, and rewards success so that we can create an extraordinary educational institution.
We will promote and create a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness.
2020 Excellence in Equity Award
Find out more and nominate a faculty, staff, administrator, and/or student today!
The Excellence in Equity award recognizes and celebrates students, faculty, staff, and administrators who have demonstrated exemplary accomplishments in advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These individuals serve as leaders through their active participation and contributions in making Montgomery College and/or their local community more inclusive by creating an environment where all individuals are valued, respected, and feel welcomed. A total of nine awards will be given: one full-time faculty; one part-time faculty; two staff; one administrator; and one student from each campus including WD&CE.
- Student nominations are due by 11:59 pm, April 17 2020.
- Employee nominations are due by 11:59 pm, April 17, 2020.
What We Do
The charge of the Office of Equity and Inclusion is to build a program that addresses ten critical areas of work:
- Student Access, Inclusion, and Equity around the Student Completion Agenda
- Climate and Culture Assessment, Responsiveness, and Action
- Planning, Benchmarking, and Best Practices
- Staffing Resourcing and Succession Planning
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Promotion and Retention of Employees
- Faculty Teaching, Research, and Curriculum
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programming and Policies
- External Community Engagement, Collaboration, and Linkages
- Business Practices, Workforce/Career Pathways, and Procurement
Equity for Students, Employees, Business Partners
Access and Achievement
- We aspire to be welcoming, equitable, inclusive, and culturally competent.
- We are polite in our interactions by:
- greeting and acknowledging others;
- saying please and thank you;
- respecting others’ time, space, and individuality;
- being direct, sensitive, and honest.
- We listen for common ground.
- We treat each other with respect by:
- welcoming feedback with an open mind and giving others the benefit of the doubt;
- acknowledging the contributions of others and recognizing successes;
- acknowledging the impact of our behavior on others with a caring heart.
- We Address incivility in a polite, courteous, and responsible manner.
Inspired by Mastering Civility by Christine Porat
Resources and More Information
- Timeline: President’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Inclusion (PDF, )
- Equity and Inclusion White Paper (PDF, )
- MC Pride
- 2019 MHEC Cultural Diversity Report (PDF, )
- 2018 MHEC Cultural Diversity Report (PDF, )