School of Education
The School of Education is a collaborative of the education departments across all three campuses of Montgomery College and the Alternative Certification for Effective Teachers program housed in Workforce Development and Continuing Education.
Our mission is to provide high quality educational programs (consisting of both academic courses and field-based learning experiences) which prepare students as educators for diverse and inclusive communities of learners in environments that are culturally respectful of children and their families. We seek to develop in our pre-service teachers the knowledge, skills, and dispositions required of the teaching profession.
Consistent with the Montgomery College mission, we strive to empower our students to change their lives, and we enrich the life of our community.
Teacher Education Programs and Degrees
We offer the 90 Hour training required by the State of Maryland for childcare center teachers, along with an early childhood certificate program and two associate's degree programs. You can also apply coursework toward the Child Development Associate (CDA). See all early childhood education programs.
Our associate of arts in teaching (AAT) degrees offer the first 64 to 68 credits of a four-year bachelor's degree and teacher certification, and are fully articulated with the public colleges and universities in the state of Maryland. Students in the education program fulfill their general education requirements, participate in fieldwork experiences, and complete a core of professional education coursework appropriate for the first two years of teacher preparation.
- Early Childhood Education Technology AAS Degree (not intended for transfer to other institutions)
- Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education AAT Degree (intended for transfer to other institutions)
We encourage our degree-seeking students to join the CREATE (Culturally Responsive Educators Aspiring for Teaching Excellence) cohort program, offering support, leadership opportunities, transfer resources, and more.
This innovative teacher preparation program is for professionals with a bachelor's degree and non-teaching work experience who wish to change careers and become teachers in MCPS secondary schools. Those interested in teaching in a STEM field may qualify for a $16,000 stipend to cover the full cost of the ACET program. Learn more about ACET.
With a dedication to ensure that radical inclusivity and increased diversity occurs within the education profession, we are proud to offer opportunities for membership into Montgomery College’s chapter of Educators Rising. This group is dedicated to equitable access into the teaching profession for all, especially males of color. For more information, please visit our homepage Educators Rising.
- Early Childhood Education Club: Open to any student pursuing early childhood coursework at Montgomery College.
- Center for Early Education: MC's laboratory preschool on our Germantown Campus for children aged 2 through 5.
Attention Education Majors!
Planning on transferring to earn your education degree? Consider Howard University and one of their education programs in Elementary Education, Secondary Education or Special Education.
- Howard University representatives will be holding virtual information sessions for Montgomery College AAT students on
Tuesdays, November 8 and November 15, 2022 - click here (PDF, ) for more information
Please register in advance for this meeting.
- Towson University at University at Shady Grove is having an in-person OPEN HOUSE (PDF, ) for education majors for Fall 2023
Saturday, November 12, 2022
Advising Fall 2022
AAT Advising - Mondays 3 - 6pm and Wednesdays, 9 -12 noon for drop in hours.
Students can drop in during those times by Zoom, or contact Prof. Sonja Fisher to request another time.
Related Noncredit Programs
In addition to the School of Education programs and courses outlined above, our Workforce Development and Continuing Education division offers a variety of teacher training programs.
- AP Summer Institute: The Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) offers 30+ hours of subject specific professional development that equips new and experienced teachers with content and resources to enhance their teaching of AP® courses courses.
- Early Childhood Education Instructor Training: Informational, innovative, and inspiring courses to help early childhood educators foster their love of learning and improve their instructional skills.
- Ed2Go and UGotClass: A wide variety of high-quality, online-only courses, with several offerings tailored for educators.
- TESOL Training Institute: The Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Training Institute trains individuals to become highly competent instructors of adult ESOL.