General Education Program
Whether the goal is to finish a two-year career program or transfernew window to another school, there are certain abilities that all students need to be successful. To ensure all students gain a broad foundation of knowledge, MC and most two- and four- year schools have made the General Education Program a component of every degree program. At MC, students are required to take a central group of courses in English, mathematics, arts, behavioral and social sciences, humanities, and science, and have the option to take additional courses in health and communications. The skills learned in these courses provide the basis for excellence and success in all courses and allow students to explore how learning is integrated across their entire degree programs.
General Education Program Goals
Through engagement in high impact educational practices and completion of the General Education program, students will demonstrate ability in five areas of competency:
- Written and oral communication
- Scientific and quantitative reasoning
- Critical analysis and reasoning
- Technological competency
- Information literacy
As proficiencies, students will also develop:
- An awareness of the arts
- An understanding of their personal, social, and civic responsibilities as members of a global communities
Upon completion of the General Education program, a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of discipline specific inquiry and methodology to acquire foundation knowledge in content areas.
- Apply integrative thinking across disciplines in order to solve complex problems through collaboration and the synthesis of knowledge.
- Apply the principles and methodologies of a variety of disciplines to consider the ideas, history, values, and/or creative expression of various cultures within the global community.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the skills needed to become self-confident, independent, lifelong learners, in order to meet the mental, physical, and ethical demands of personal and professional life.
- Demonstrate an understanding of leadership skills that foster an active commitment to civic and social responsibility.
General Education Program Requirements and Course Lists
You may follow the General Education program requirements for the year you first enrolled at MC OR choose the current academic year. Individual courses to meet those requirements that have not yet been completed should be chosen from the CURRENT year’s course list.
2023 - 2024 General Education Course List (PDF, )
- 2022 - 2023 (PDF, )
- 2021 - 2022 (PDF, )
- 2020 - 2021 (PDF, )
- 2019 - 2020 (PDF, )
- 2018 - 2019 (PDF, )
- 2017 - 2018 (PDF, )
Select one of the options below to learn more.