Electrical Wiring Area of Concentration, Building Trades Technology Degree
If you're interested in becoming an electrician, or if you're a current building and construction professional looking to advance your electrical wiring skills, our program will provide the training, skills, and knowledge you need.
You'll receive a comprehensive mixture of academic and practical training. The coursework, focusing on residential and commercial wiring, is laboratory intensive complemented with additional classroom studies.
Montgomery College is a member of the Registered Apprenticeship-College Consortium, a network of colleges and registered apprentice programs.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Define and explain the basic principles and techniques of residential construction.
- Apply relevant construction skills in a particular trade area.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to make sure you are on track to graduate and/or transfer.
- Electrical Wiring Area of Concentration, Building Trades Technology AAS Program Advising Guide (PDF, )
- Find a Program Advisor
MC has a long history of successfully preparing students for transfer to four-year institutions. See all transfer agreements.
Graduates of this program typically pursue a career as an electrician.
- Career Outlook for Electriciansnew window: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coachnew window: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
A suggested course sequence follows.
All students should review the advising guide and consult an advisor. Most courses have either assessment levels that must be met or prerequisites (courses that must be taken first). Part-time students and those who need to meet assessment levels or take prerequisite courses will take longer to complete a degree. An advisor will help make sure you are taking your courses in the right order.
All degree-seeking students must take a central group of General Education courses in English, mathematics, arts, behavioral and social sciences, humanities, and science. These courses are included in the suggested course sequence below.
Suggested Course Sequence
- BLDG 130 - Introduction to the Building Trades 3 semester hours
- BLDG 133 - Building Trades Blueprint Reading 3 semester hours
- BLDG 150 - Fundamentals of Electrical Wiring 4 semester hours
- ENGL 101 - Introduction to College Writing 3 semester hours
- BLDG 250 - Residential Electrical Wiring 4 semester hours
- English foundation 3 semester hours (ENGF)
- Mathematics foundation 3 semester hours (MATF)
- Program electives 6 semester hours †
- BLDG 252 - Commercial Electrical Wiring 4 semester hours
- BLDG 256 - National Electrical Code 3 semester hours
- Arts or humanities distribution 3 semester hours (ARTD or HUMD)
- General education elective 3 semester hours (GEEL)
- Program electives 3 semester hours †
Behavioral and social sciences distribution 3 semester hours (BSSD)Natural science distribution with lab 4 semester hours (NSLD)General education elective 3 semester hours (GEEL)Program electives 5 semester hours †
† Select from the following program electives: ARCH 103, ARCH 183, BLDG 140, BLDG 160, BLDG 172, BLDG 182, BLDG 184, BLDG 186, BLDG 188, BLDG 200 (1-3 credits,) BLDG 230, BLDG 240, BLDG 242, BLDG 284, BSAD 101, CMGT 100, CMGT 135, CMGT 280, SPAN 101.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development & Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.
- Building Trades Technology Program
- Building Trades Technology AAS Degree, Carpentry Concentration
- Building Trades Technology AAS Degree, Electrical Wiring Concentration
- Building Trades Technology AAS Degree, HVAC Concentration
- Carpentry Certificate
- Electrical Wiring Certificate
- HVAC Certificate
- Residential Remodeling and Repair Certificate