RP Part Two: Multiple Placement Options
You probably have test scores or transcripts that you can already use for placement. Check your records and carefully review the options below. If you have scores and/or transcripts for any of these options, please follow the instructions in each bullet point to send us your records for evaluation.
If you would like to print the multiple placement options information, please print this document: Placement Test Exemption Criteria (PDF, ) .
If you know with complete certainty that you do not have any scores/transcripts to review, please move forward to Part Three: MC Remote Placement.
Maryland public and private high school students may be exempt from English and Math assessments based on their high school records. The following criteria are required for this exemption:
- Montgomery County Public School (MCPS) students: completion of sophomore year at a public or private high school
- Non-MCPS students in Maryland: completion of junior year at a public or private high school
- An unweighted, cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (ESOL classes are not included in GPA calculation)
This exemption grants students the following placements at Montgomery College:
- English: ENGL 101+ ENGL 011. If a higher English placement is desired, please email EnglishPlacement@montgomerycollege.edu.
- Math: MATH 050/117/120. If higher math placement is desired, please complete the MC Math Remote Placement.
- The above placements are valid for five years from the date of high school graduation.
MCPS students should submit a credit application to have their APPG placement information transferred from MCPS to Montgomery College students’ records. This is an automated process that takes up to two weeks after the student has been admitted to the College.
Non-MCPS students should submit their official high school transcript to Office of Raptor Centralnew window for review.
Students learning in a homeschool environment OR Homeschool students must submit an official transcript from a Maryland homeschool umbrella group for review to Office of Raptor Central.
MCPS students may be exempt from English (APPE) and/or Math (APPM) assessment based on completion of certain high school classes:
- Honors English 12 (APPE)
- AP Language/Composition (APPE)
- Modern World History (APPE)
- Algebra II (APPM)
The following conditions apply to this exemption:
- Must be a MCPS student
- Received a “B” or better in the final semester of the class
- English placement is ENGL 101+ ENGL 011. If a higher English placement is desired, please email EnglishPlacement@montgomerycollege.edu.
- Math placement is MATH 050/117/120. If higher math placement is desired, please complete the MC Math Remote Placement
- Option applies up to one year after high school graduation
MCPS students must submit a credit application to have their APPE/APPM placement information transferred from MCPS to Montgomery College students’ records. This is an automated process that takes up to two weeks after the student has been admitted to the College.
You may be eligible for credit-level placement with minimum qualifying scores from these standardized tests:
|New SAT (After 3/1/2016)||Old SAT (Before 3/1/2016)||SAT - Reading Subset||ACT|
|English / Reading||480+ Evidence-Based Reading/Writing||500+ Critical Reading||26+||21+ Reading|
NOTE: Students with PARCC scores must see a counselor or academic advisor to interpret these scores.
SAT/ACT SCORES: Students should contact the Office of Raptor Centralnew window for instructions on how to submit these scores.
TRANSFER ACCUPLACER SCORES: Students who have taken ACCUPLACER at another institution may submit those scores
for evaluation. English and Reading scores should be less than 2 years old. Math scores
should be less than 1 year old. Email RemotePlacement@montgomerycollege.edu for instructions. Montgomery College does not accept ACCUPLACER ESL scores.
TRANSFER ALEKS SCORES: Students may transfer ALEKS scores after completing Test #2 or higher. Diagnostic scores (Test #1) are not acceptable. Submit your scores for review to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maryland students who scored 165 or higher in the Reasoning Through Language Arts module are eligible to enroll in college-level English. Students who scored 165 or higher in the Mathematical Reasoning module are eligible to enroll in college-level Math courses. For evaluation, submit official scores to the Office of Raptor Centralnew window.
International Students may be exempt from taking an English or language placement
exam by submitting official minimum qualifying scores for:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- TOEFL 575+ (paper and pencil test)
- TOEFL 90+ (internet-based test)
- IELTS 6.5+
- PTE 61 or higher (This does not replace but is an addition to TOEFL and/or IELTS).
Students applying with these scores will still need to complete Math placement requirements.
If you tested more than 5 years ago, you may need to complete additional placement requirements.
You must submit your scores to the Office of Raptor Centralnew window for review.
If you have completed a credited/college-level English Composition course of 100 or higher with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited U.S. college or university, please submit an unofficial transcript to the Office of Raptor Central.
NOTE: To receive credit for prior learning, submit an official transcript for evaluation to the Office of Records and Registration.
If you have earned an associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, please submit an unofficial college transcript showing the degree conferred with date to the Office of Raptor Central.
Note: To receive credit for prior learning, submit an official transcript for evaluation to the Office of Records and Registration.
Here are some school codes you may use to submit official scores:
|Montgomery College CEEB Codes|
|Takoma Park/Silver Spring||
After you complete RP Part Two, continue to RP Part Three below: