The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) is an assessment test used to evaluate the academic preparedness of entry-level health sciences students in reading comprehension, math, science, English, and language usage.
There are many resources available to help you engage in a comprehensive review of the topics that will be assessed. As you begin your preparation, remember that studying for the TEAS not only requires you to master content, but also to develop good testing strategies and great critical thinking skills. While you study, use the combination of resources that best works for you.
TEAS prep courses are available through Workforce Development and Continuing Education.
TEAS Content Areas
Montgomery College administers the ATI TEAS. The ATI TEAS is a timed, computer-based, multiple-choice assessment that consists of four content areas that have corresponding sub-content areas.
There are a total of 170 multiple-choice questions. Test-takers are allotted 209 minutes (approximately 3 hours and 29 minutes) to complete the exam. Although there are 170 questions, Assessment Technologies Institute (the company that created the ATI TEAS) only scores150 questions. The additional 20 questions are un-scored pretest items.
The math section covers:
- Number and algebra
- Measurement and data
- 36 questions; 54 minutes
- Please be advised that a calculator is embedded in the math section. However, students should not rely on the calculator, as they risk running out of time.
Resources and materials:
The science section covers:
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Life and physical science
- Scientific reasoning
- 53 questions; 63 minutes
Resources and materials:
The English and language usage section covers:
- Grammar and word meanings in context
- Spelling and punctuation
- 28 questions; 28 minutes
Resources and materials:
Spring 2021 TEAS information sessions
Registration Linknew window
Registrants would receive their zoom access information 24 hours prior to the information session date.
- Information sessions dates
- Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Friday, January 29, 2021, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, February 4, 2021, 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 26, 2021, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 6, 2021, 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
The Montgomery College Assessment Centers offer the TEAS test during the following dates:
- January 2, 2019 – March 29, 2019
- Mid-May 2019 – July 31, 2019
- You must register to take the TEAS through Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI)new window. This requires the creation of an account at the ATI website. All Health Science students, regardless of which health science program they are applying for, must select "TEAS for Nursing" when registering to take the TEAS.
- Select a testing location, date, and time based on the information provided and your
Testing locations, dates and times vary. If your desired location is unavailable, choose an alternate location, date, and/or time.
- Review the testing policies and procedures for the location where you will be taking the TEAS in advance.
- Pay for the exam through through Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI)new window. The cost is $75.00, and registration fees are non-refundable. Please note: The TEAS is a registered test of ATI and is not affiliated with Montgomery College. Test fees are determined by ATI and subject to change. TEAS results are calculated and distributed by ATI.
- Print a copy of your email confirmation sent to you from ATI.
To request accommodations, please contact Disability Support Services to obtain information about available testing accommodations and procedures.
Policies and Procedures
On August 31, 2016, TEAS (Version 6) replaced TEAS Version V. The required scores remain the same: Reading = 70% and Total Score = 66%.
- Applicants must take the TEAS in order to be considered for admission to the nursing, radiologic technology, physical therapy, and diagnostic medical sonography programs. All health science students, regardless of which health science program they are applying for, must select "TEAS for Nursing" when registering to take the TEAS.
- In order to take the TEAS at Montgomery College, an applicant must be admitted as an active Montgomery College student. If an applicant has not applied to the College, they must do so before setting up a testing appointment. A student MC Identification number is required to complete ATI registration.
- If students take the TEAS at an alternative location and are interested in applying to Health Sciences programs at Montgomery College, they must contact ATI to have his or her scores included in the application packet submitted to the Office of Admissions.
ATI TEAS Registration Policies and Procedures
- Students must register for the TEAS through the Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) websitenew window.
- Prior to registering for the exam, students should review Montgomery College’s Assessment Centers’ testing policies and procedures.
- At the time of registration, students pay for the exam through ATI.
- Students must provide proof of identity with a picture form of identification; either government issued or Montgomery College ID.
- Applicants must register for testing no later than 24 hours in advance of their desired test date through ATI and paying the non-refundable testing fee. An ATI account must then be created by using your assigned “MyMC” ID login as the “ATI User Name.” If an applicant has an existing ATI account with a different name, he/she must edit the profile by making the necessary changes. If you cannot test on the day that you registered for the exam, you must re-register.
- DSS students must contact DSS office for authorized accommodations prior to scheduling a test date.
- The retest policies are applicable for all students testing at the Montgomery College Assessment Centers.
- Students may only take the TEAS twice during a twelve (12) month period, starting with the first attempt.
- After the first attempt, students must wait 30 days before they can retake the exam.
- It is recommended that students schedule an appointment with the TEAS coordinator for academic support prior to making a second attempt at the exam. Appointments can be scheduled by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students must provide proof of identity with a picture form of identification; either government issued or Montgomery College ID. Failure to produce appropriate ID can result in student being denied opportunity to test, and registration fee will not be refunded.
- TEAS results are valid for 24 months from test date.
- Students will receive their TEAS score report immediately following the completion of the exam (computer test only).
- Students will receive a copy of the retest policy immediately following completion of the exam.
The TEAS is an exam that assesses basic academic knowledge in reading, math, science, and English and language usage.
You will need an account created with Assessment Technologies Institute, a credit or debit card, and an email address to complete the online registration.
No. The TEAS cannot be substituted for another exam (e.g. GRE, SAT, ACT, HESI, NLN, GMAT, GED, or LSAT).