DSS Academic Support Centers and Tutoring Services
At this time, the DSS Academic Support Centers are conducting all academic support services virtually. Structured remote/online courses can be challenging and may require using a different strategy than face-to-face classes. If you need help navigating your online class, our Support Center Coordinators can provide guidance. Academic support appointments can be scheduled by contacting one of the coordinators via email.
DSS provides comprehensive academic services that extend beyond classroom and testing accommodations. The DSS Academic Support Centers support the academic development and educational goals of students and is committed to promoting access for individuals with disabilities within the college's diverse community.
DSS staff specialists, faculty tutors, and peer student tutors provide an array of services that include organizational support, time-management, study skills, math/English/reading tutoring, limited content tutoring, assistive technology training and limited equipment loans. Although not an accommodation, DSS Academic Support Centers are available at all three campuses to students who have identified with DSS. Services are not unlimited and are based on availability. Hours and locations vary by campus.
"The Center is a great resource to me for getting my homework done."
Role of the Academic Support Centers
- Help students improve and refine their academic scores.
- Support students in increasing their independence and confidence.
- Help students practice self-advocacy.
"The center is like a family to me, where I can ask for help without feeling discomfort. I trust the center a lot."
- Study Skills Support
- On Campus Study Space
- Assistive Technology and Training
- Periodic Workshops
One-on-one sessions for help in English, math, and other limited content area/courses led by student peers, faculty, and staff.
- Once or twice per week sessions depending on need and number of classes
- One-on-one tutoring, homework assistance, check-ins
- Reading, writing, and research skills development
- Support for online coursework
- help navigating your online class
- guidance on identifying and clarifying course requirements
- figuring out when items are due
- implementing effective study strategies for exams
- Help you learn the material on your own
- Help you get started on assignments
- Help you learn how to study
- Help you learn study strategies to become an independent learner
- Break assignments into small doable chunks
- Encourage success along the way
- Tutors cannot give you answers
- Tutors are not homework partners
- Tutors do not reteach lessons
- Tutors do not edit writing assignments
- Tutors do not offer assistance for take home or online exams
- Have a ready to learn attitude
- Be on time
- Attend each scheduled appointment
- Prepare specific questions in advance
- Bring materials (assignment directions, books, notes, etc.)
- Follow the center rules
- Screen reader and screen magnifier
- Notetaking aids
- Digital recorder and smartpen loans (as available)
- Alternate format material
Group instruction for academic success.
The below workshops are planned for the Fall 2020 semester. More details will be added as we draw closer to each workshop.• Getting Started: This event has passed.
• Making a Study Plan: Tuesday September 22, 2020 11:30am-1:00pm
- Topics will include
- Addressing procrastination issues
- Utilizing effective time management strategies
- Using your resources
- RSVP by emailing email@example.com by Monday September 21
• Final Projects & Research Papers: Thursday December 3, 2020 4:00-5:30pm
"They are always there to help you."
How to Access Services
Contact the Academic Support Center Coordinator from your campus to set up an appointment:
Monday - Friday
Monday - Friday
Monday - Friday
"Come to the center. They are here because they want you to succeed."
- Disability Support Services
- DSS Student Handbook
- DSS Forms
- Transitioning from High School to College
- Testing for Learning Disabilities & Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Documentation Guidelines
- Faculty/Staff Guidelines
- Faculty Frequently Asked Questions
- Complaints-Grievance Policy
- Contact Us
- DSS Remote Operations
- DSS Tutoring Services