DSS Student Information and Resources
DSS provides comprehensive services including counseling and advising, accommodations and academic adjustments, assistive technology, and tutoring. Accommodations are determined on a case by-case basis and may include extended time, note-taking assistance, sign language interpreting services, and alternative formats for printed materials.
Each campus offers assistive technology, including computers with disability-specific software and hardware, voice recognition and synthesizers, print magnifiers and scanners, large print, and Braille, as well as individual tutorial support.
- Complete the online student intake formnew window using your Montgomery College Student ID number.
- You may upload a scanned PDF copy of your documentation. If you do not have a scanned copy, complete the form and click Submit. You may bring paper copies of your documentation to your initial intake appointment with a DSS counselor.
- DSS will review your information and contact you to schedule an initial intake appointment.
- More information about the new student process and what to expect during an intake appointment is available on our New DSS Student Informationnew window page.
DSS utilizes an interactive process in determining accommodations for each student. DSS counselors advise students and provide academic, career, and short-term personal counseling. They determine and facilitate appropriate academic and technological accommodations, act as liaisons with College resources and external agencies and consultants, and provide referral services for students with disabilities. DSS faculty and staff assist in arranging support services within the framework of student self-determination and self-advocacy.
Accommodations are based on the impact of the disability, course standards and requirements, and are determined based on the interactive process. The following are examples of accommodations. For additional information please refer to the DSS Student Guide or discuss with a DSS counselor.
- Access to class notes
- Allow recording of class
- Alternative to Scantron/Ability to write directly on the test
- Captioned videos, films, and online media
- Double time
- Flexibility with attendance
- Preferential seating
- Reduced distraction testing environment
- Scribe for exams
DSS counselors provide academic, career, and short-term personal counseling and advising. For major-specific advising, students are referred to program advisors as appropriate.
Long-term personal counseling and crisis resources are available on the Personal Counselingnew window page.
Have questions about what documentation will best help determine the appropriate accommodations and services? Visit the Documentation Guidelinesnew window page.
Montgomery College does not provide diagnostic or evaluative testing for learning disabilities or ADD/ADHD. Visit the Testing for Learning Disabilities & Attention Deficit Disorder new windowpage to see local agencies and resources that can assist in this process.