Personal Counseling

The Montgomery College Counseling and Advising Centers’ Counseling and Disability Support Services (DSS) faculty assist students with academic, personal, and career concerns. The primary emphasis is on supporting students to achieve their educational goals. Counselors do not provide ongoing therapy services to students, but can provide brief personal counseling on a short-term basis to deal with an immediate concern. Brief personal counseling is defined as any sessions regarding a concern that is not academic in nature. Counselors will also refer students to local community counseling resources which can provide further support and treatment for ongoing mental health needs.

Are you or someone you know having a crisis?

24 Hour Montgomery County Crisis Hotline: 301-738-2255
24 Hour National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255  Press 1 for Veterans Crisis Line
24 Hour online support at
24 Hour text chat support: Text “Start” to 741741
24 Hour National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233

Montgomery College Resources

Germantown Public Safety: 240-567-7777
Germantown Counseling and Advising: 240-567-7734

Rockville Public Safety: 240-567-5111
Rockville Counseling and Advising: 240-567-5063/4104

Takoma Park/Silver Spring Public Safety: 240-567-1600
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Counseling and Advising: 240-567-1480

Resources on the Web

College is a time of learning and transition for many individuals, which can be exciting and sometimes stressful. As students learn more about themselves, their peers, their communities and the world at large they explore and develop their sense of self, their interests, and strengths. Some students may feel a call to help others, while some students learn that they themselves need more help and support as stressors may make life more difficult to navigate on one's own. There are many local and national resources available to get involved with the mental health and wellness community as a helper, as well as resources that can help you or your loved ones get help in coping with mental health concerns.

Kognito At-Risk is an online, interactive training simulation used at more than 350 campuses nationwide. Learn to identify and talk to peers exhibiting signs of psychological distress and motivate them to seek appropriate help. This innovative online simulation will enhance your skills through direct practice in a risk-free environment with student avatars. The training covers identification of students experiencing various types distress along with practice conversations to motivate those students to seek help. Click the link to register and take the free course.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness is an organization dedicated to education about mental illness and supporting and improving the lives of those who live with mental illness. NAMI’s website provides information about different mental health disorders such as:
NAMI also provides information on living with a mental health diagnosis, such as understanding a diagnosis, how to deal with a crisis, and how to find a qualified mental health provider. NAMI also provides opportunities for loved ones to get involved and help those who have mental health disorders.

Are you concerned that you are struggling with stress, sadness, or anxiety? Do you worry that you, or someone you care about, might have a mental health disorder? Seeking the appropriate help in a timely fashion is important to helping yourself get on track to mental health and wellness. One of the first tools you can use is a mental health screening. While this will not provide a diagnosis, through a few questions, it can determine if there may be something more going on that you should speak to a mental health professional about. Mental Health America provides free tools that take only a few minutes. They offer screenings for:
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Alcohol or substance abuse
  • Psychosis
If you are concerned about screening results but aren’t sure where to start for a referral, need some extra support in dealing with academic stress, or have career concerns you’d like to speak to someone about, please make an appointment with your campus’s Counseling and Advising Center. All appointments are made through the Starfish system and can be accessed by logging into MyMC. See step-by-step instructions for each campus here.

ULifeline and Transition Year are mental health resources specifically geared toward college students.

ULifeline has additional screening tools and information about specific mental health disorders, as well as focusing on what an individual can do to promote wellness in their lives.

Transition Year has a focus on mental health, but also touches on a number of other issues, including choosing a college, transferring, and integrating into student life.
For some students, transitioning to college life can be a challenge. This is especially true if a student has been dealing with additional life stressors or mental health issues. As a parent, how can you help your child through this sometimes difficult time? There are many free online resources available to guide parents in how to interact with their college-aged children when they think they may be struggling with academic stress, bullying, mental health issues or even suicidal thoughts. 

The Jed Foundation is an organization whose mission is “to promote emotional health and prevent suicide among college and university students.” They have specific resources on their website geared toward parents of college-aged children. This includes the guide “Protecting Your Child’s Health: What Can Parents Do? (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.)

Transition Year is a project of the Jed Foundation, which is specifically oriented toward parents of students starting or preparing for college life. It includes information from choosing the right college, to orienting to student life, all with an emphasis on the mental and emotional health of the student during this time.

If you’re already concerned that your student is struggling or may have a mental health disorder, seeking the appropriate help in a timely fashion is important to helping your student get on track to mental health and wellness. One of the first tools you can use is a mental health screening. While this will not provide a diagnosis, through a few questions, it can determine if there may be something more going on that your student should speak to a mental health professional about. Mental Health America provides free tools that take only a few minutes, including a Parent Screening. Mental Health America also provides information on many specific mental health diagnoses and other mental health related topics such as:
  • ADHD
  • Alcohol use and abuse
  • Anxiety disorders
  • Being an effective caregiver
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Depression
  • Eating disorders
  • Healthy mental and emotional development
  • Military mental health
  • Suicide
Montgomery College also has resources available. In the Community Resources tab above there are listings for various counseling professionals in the Montgomery County area. If your student isn't sure where to start, they can click on the Students tab and find out how to make an appointment with their campus Counseling and Advising Center, which can provide additional support and community resources.
Behavioral Health Resources in the Montgomery County and surrounding areas

By Location:

  • Takoma Park/Silver Spring Area
  • Rockville Area
  • Germantown Area
  • Montgomery County
  • Frederick County
  • Prince Georges County
  • Howard County
  • Anne Arundel County
  • Washington, D.C.

By Payment Option:

  • Medicare/Medicaid
  • Private Insurance
  • Self-Pay/Sliding Scale
  • Free of Charge

By Type of Services Offered:

  • Individual Counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Family Counseling
  • Medication Management
  • Inpatient/Partial Hospitalization/Psychiatric Rehabilitation
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Self-Help and Other Support

By Clinical Specialty:

  • Military/Veterans
  • Eating Disorders
  • Substance Abuse
  • Grief/Bereavement
  • Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence
  • Multilingual

Social Services:

  • WIC/Pregnancy/Childcare
  • Medical Services
  • Shelter/Housing
  • Transportation
  • Legal Support
  • Food and Nutrition
  • Advocacy Programs
  • Employment/Financial

Montgomery County 311- Call for information about any Montgomery County program or to request services.  Available between 7am and 7pm Monday through Friday.

National Behavioral Health Organizations and Resources

Common searches:
Jump to Navigation