Top Questions Students Ask
Once you’ve logged into Starfish, go to the navigation menu to setup your profile and explore your Success Network for access to contact information and appointment scheduling. Use the Upcoming tab to keep track of and/or cancel upcoming appointments. Use your Dashboard to see notifications and Degree Planner to an academic plans. Review the full Getting Started Guide (PDF, ) .
- Go to the Starfishnew window site and login with your MyMC ID and password. You will be redirected to the Counseling & Advising page to schedule an appointment.
- Look for the blue button - Schedule Appointment. Follow the prompts to select the reason for your visit, preferred day/time and location.
- Click Continue.
- Provide a few additional details in the box above the Confirm button. Click on Confirm to schedule the appointment.
- Once confirmed, be sure to monitor your MC e-mail for an e-mail and any additional notifications regarding the meeting. If you need additional assistance, please e-mail the Counseling & Advising front desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Appointments are temporarily suspended during August and January. During this time, Counseling & Advising offers same-day walk-in meetings only.
- From the Upcoming tab, you can view scheduled appointments and make changes.
- Click on an appointment to make changes to it, such as changing the location or duration, when available.
- You can cancel the appointment by clicking the ellipsis and selecting Cancel appointment.
- If you need additional assistance, please e-mail the Counseling & Advising front desk at email@example.com.
Please e-mail the Counseling & Advising front desk at firstname.lastname@example.org to alert them that you are unable to access Starfish and they will be able to assist you.
Go to the Meet with a Counselor/Advisor page to see your options for connecting with someone in Counseling & Advising. If you still need assistance, please e-mail the Counseling & Advising front desk at email@example.com and they will get you connected with someone in Counseling & Advising.
Degree Planner is a tool used for academic planning. Meet with a Counselor/Advisor in order to create an initial academic plan for your declared program of study in the Starfish Degree Planner. Once a plan has been activated, you may edit the plan and submit it for review/approval by someone in Counseling & Advising.
If a plan has already been created for you, please watch the brief video for instructions on how to access the plan in Starfish.
*If you are new to college and undecided about your program of study, you may use the Degree Planner academic planning tool to create your own plan under one of the fields of study options. More info: Fields of Study.
Online Advising (E-mail)
If your questions are more complex or need more discussion, the Online Advisor may refer you to our front desk for assistance obtaining a meeting with a Counselor.
If you need an override based on a SAT/ACT/AP score or transcript, be prepared to attach the supporting documents or transcripts while completing the Online Advising Request Form.
The Online Advisor (Counselor) may request additional information/clarification to best answer your question.
During this period of remote operations, Counseling & Advising is not offering on- campus meetings. Meetings will be held over phone or web conferencing (Zoom).
Schedule a meeting using the Starfish system. Go to Meet with a Counselor/Advisor page and then click on the "Login to Starfish" to schedule an Appointment link. If you need assistance, please e-mail the Counseling & Advising front desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Counselors help students with their personal, career, and educational goals. Along with program advisors, they help students select the courses that are right for them. Counselors also teach student development courses, such as the First Year Seminar, and provide interventions and support when students need help.
Academic Program Advisors teach in specific programs of study (majors) and help students choose classes, understand options, and determine resources.
Counseling & Advising does not provide ongoing therapy services to students, but can provide referrals to other resources and services.
The college community has resources and programming, both in the community and on campus, to help students get and stay mentally healthy. Check out some great resources: Mental Health and Wellness
Montgomery County Crisis Hotline: 240-777-4000
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255. Press 1 for Veterans Crisis Line
Online chat supportnew window
Text chat support: Text “Start” to 741741
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
Your health and wellness can have an impact on academic success. Our Student Health and Wellness Center for Success (SHaW Center) identifies, provides, and connects students to resources that support success.