Disability Support Services utilizes an individualized interactive process to determine eligibility for accommodations and services. This includes a review of the documentation of disability, student intake interview with the Disability Support Services Counselor, and student’s self-report regarding impact of the disability in an educational setting.
Students must provide supporting documentation of the disability and impact on accessing the curriculum, programs and/or activities at Montgomery College. Although an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 plan may help identify services that have been effective in high school, it may not be considered sufficient documentation for accommodation requests. Documentation will vary depending upon the nature of the disability and accommodations requested. The following guidelines are considered in evaluating disability documentation:
- The documentation must be completed by a qualified professional who is qualified to diagnose a student’s specific disability and includes name, title, professional credentials, and affiliation.
- The documentation is relevant, identifies a specific disability, functional limitations resulting from the disability, current impact on academic functioning, and recommendations for reasonable accommodations.
- The documentation may also include the following:
- Quantitative and qualitative information to support the diagnosis
- Summary and interpretation of assessment instruments (clinical interviews, behavioral checklists, observations, etc.)
- The expected progression or stability of disability over time
- Description of current and past accommodations, services and/or medications
- Alternatively, the student may have the appropriate professional complete a specific verification form at the following links:
- Disability Support Services
- DSS Student Handbook
- DSS Forms
- Transitioning from High School to College
- Testing for Learning Disabilities & Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Documentation Guidelines
- Faculty/Staff Guidelines
- Faculty Frequently Asked Questions
- Complaints-Grievance Policy
- Contact Us
- DSS Remote Operations
- DSS Tutoring Services