Student Health and Wellness Center for Success
As we continue to live and learn in this ever-changing climate, the Student Health and Wellness Center for Success is here for you. See SHaW Center resources and events to support students during this challenging time.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call, text, or chat 24 hours a day:
- Montgomery County Crisis Hotline: 240-777-4000
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255. Press 1 for Veterans Crisis Line
- Online chat support at imalive.orgnew window
- Text chat support: Text “Start” to 741741
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
Your health and wellness can have an impact on academic success. Our Student Health and Wellness Center for Success (SHaW Center) identifies, provides, and connects students to resources that support success.
Some common challenges students face are access to health care, housing, food, mental health support, and personal safety. Montgomery College's network of community resources helps remove those obstacles to support your academic success.
We urge any student who has difficulty accessing sufficient food to eat every day, or who lacks a safe and stable place to live, to contact the Dean of Student Affairs on your campus. Furthermore, please notify your professors if you are comfortable in doing so. This will enable the professor to provide any resources that they may possess. We know this can affect performance in your classes and Montgomery College is committed to your success.
You can help others in need in a variety of ways. Choose which method works best for you.
You can donate money through the MC Foundation (just note on your contribution that you want it to go to the food pantries).
The food pantries are continually in need of snack foods as well as nonperishable items that can be taken home. Suggestions are listed below.
Canned and Jarred Goods
- Beans, vegetables, fruits, soups, spaghetti sauce, meats, tuna fish, salmon, Vienna sausages, apple sauce, fruit cocktail
- Cooking oil, shortening sticks
- Condiments, such as ketchup, mustard, spices
- Peanut butter, jams, jellies
- Rice, beans, peas, soup mixes, spaghetti, pasta, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs
- Instant scalloped and mashed potatoes
- Flour, sugar, cake mix, muffin mix, pancakes mix, dried milk, boxes of cereal
- Baby formula and baby food
- Bottled and canned beverages
- Plates, cups, napkins
- Paper towels, tissues
- Toilet paper
Personal Hygiene Products
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss
- Shampoo (hotel samples are perfect)
- Sanitary products
- Soaps, deodorants
Microwaveable, Ready to Eat Food:
- Individually packaged dinners, meat or vegetarian individual meal servings
- Macaroni and cheese mixes, soups, oatmeal packets
- Breads, rolls, bagels (not more than a day old), potatoes
- Dried fruits, raisins, nuts in small packages
- Fruit snacks, Pop Tarts, fruit cups, pudding
- Crackers (small packets of cheese or peanut butter), granola bars, pretzels
- Bags of assorted chips, pretzels, cheese balls, popcorn, etc.
- Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, pears, peaches, plums
- Instant coffee, teabags, sugar, creamer, individual packets of hot chocolate
- Juice boxes
- Bottled water, canned beverages, juices
- Laundry detergent, dish soap, cleansers
- Paper and plastic shopping bags