American Pre-Academic and Professional ESL Program
How to Register for ESL Classes
Spring 2021 Special Instructions
This spring Montgomery College (MC) will not have in-person classes or registration until March 22nd. If MC opens campuses at that time, some ESL classes are scheduled to begin on a specified campus. The four types of classes we are offering this semester are:
- Structured Remote (SR)--will meet online only at scheduled dates and times. You will use Zoom, Blackboard, and other online tools.
- Hybrid—will start online using Zoom, Blackboard and other tools. Beginning the week of March 22nd, classes may move to a campus for in-person classes.
- Distance Learning (DL)—are online classes for students who need a flexible schedule. You can work at home at your own pace. Each week the instructor will let you know which lessons to work on in Blackboard, a learning management system. You will access videos, instructional materials and discussion forums. There will also be optional opportunities to meet with instructors and classmates over Zoom during the course of the semester.
- Campus-based classes—these classes are listed as Rockville Campus or Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus in the schedule. These classes may meet in-person on a campus.
PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE AGAIN BEFORE REGISTERING BECAUSE CLASSES SCHEDULED FOR A CAMPUS MAY CONTINUE TO BE HELD BY ZOOM DUE TO THE PANDEMIC.
If you are registering for Structured Remote, Hybrid or Distance Learning classes:
- You must have reliable internet service and a computer or mobile device from which you can access Zoom and other websites and send and receive documents (email).
- You must register and pay online at least one week before the class starts.
- Call Customer Service at 240-567-5188 if you need help registering.
- After your course begins, you may be moved to a different class if your teacher finds you are in the wrong level.
Spring 2021 --Special Instructions
If you wish to take classes this spring, please contact us by one of these methods:
- email: ESL-Rockville@montgomerycollege.edu
- Phone: 240-549-2691
- Text message: 833-935-1929
Returning Students & New Students with Test Results
- Select your classes from the list of APPE Spring 2021 classes and prices (PDF, ) .
- Here is a listing of the Spring 2020 Books (PDF, ) .
- Click on ESL Registration Instructions (coming soon). This document has all information needed for registration and payment.
- *Please note: To complete your registration, you must pay for your class (s). If you do not pay, you are not registered.
If you took the MC ESL Remote Placement Test online and receive an email asking you to contact us, please make an appointment to get your placement by calling 240-549-2691 or emailing us at ESL-Rockville@montgomerycollege.edu.
If you took the Accuplacer ESL and have your placement, you can register online by following these directions: (PDF, ) ESL Registration Instructions (coming soon). You do not need to contact us, but you can if you have a question. If you need help registering, please call us at 240-567-5188.
Spring ESL Placement Test Dates & Times
Notice: Due to COVID, all placement testing will be offered via Zoom. Please contact us by email, phone or text:
Spring Registration Locations
No in-person registration at this time. You must register online. All in-person registration is closed. Register early to get a space in the course.
When Montgomery College opens in-person registration again, our regular registration locations are as follows:
- Rockville Campus: CC 220 (Campus Center)
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus: CF 230 (Cafritz Foundation Arts Center)
- Germantown Campus: 241 and/or HS 241 and/or 243 (Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Gaithersburg Training Center: Room 400
- Westfield South in Wheaton: Room 306*
* Disability access for this leased site is on the same side as the movie theater entrance. For more information regarding disability access at the site, or if any individuals are facing accessibility issues anywhere in the Westfield South Center, please call 240-567-8841.
Note: Due to COVID19 there have been some modifications to the schedule. Visit Spring Schedule to learn more.