Java Developer Certificate
Prepare for or advance your computer programming career by learning how to develop object-oriented Java applications for server and client systems. Courses taken toward this certificate can also be applied toward a general studies, computer science, or information systems degree.
Upon completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate working knowledge with Java programming language.
- Write GUI-based, object-oriented, event-driven, client-side Java programs using primitive data types, control structures, methods, arrays, classes, interfaces, inheritance, polymorphism, asynchronous event handling, and multi-threading.
- Build Java programs to connect to databases and manipulate database records.
- Develop networking programs using Remote Method Invocation and networking API.
- Create server-side programs using the web protocol, client-side interfaces, and serverside technologies such as Java Servlet and JavaServer Page.
- Implement Java games and applications to run on different devices.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans and make sure you are on track to graduate and/or transfer. The program advising guide outlines the certificate requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
For some positions listed, a bachelor's degree or higher may be required. Use the Career and Program Explorer to see a full report for this career field. See links below chart for further guidance and/or connect with a Program Advisor to discuss career goals.
- Career Outlook for Web Developersnew window: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coachnew window: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
How To Apply and Register
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes. These courses are designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.