- Health Enhancement, Exercise Science, and Physical Education
- Advanced Personal Trainer
Advanced Personal Trainer Certificate
MC's personal trainer certificate curriculum is designed to develop fitness specialists who are knowledgeable and skilled in fitness, wellness instruction, and program design. The curriculum blends science and theory with practical application and hands-on experience.
Students will acquire an academic foundation in the fundamental principles of exercise and nutrition in addition to a basic understanding of human anatomy and physiology. Practical skill training will focus on the development of expertise in fitness assessment, health and fitness program design, safe exercise technique, training methodology, injury prevention and care, behavior change, exercise leadership, and personal training business practice.
The certificate curriculum offers the educational framework and competencies for career opportunities in the fitness industry. Successful completion of the certificate will prepare students for many of the nationally recognized personal training certification examinations and provides a course foundation for those interested in pursuing an AA in exercise science/health fitness specialist.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of cardiovascular, respiratory, metabolic, and musculoskeletal risk factors and appropriate use of health histories, physician referrals, and informed consent.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of appropriate fitness assessments for the following fitness components, cardiorespiratory, endurance, strength, flexibility, and body composition.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of appropriate exercise program development for the following fitness components, cardiorespiratory, endurance, strength, flexibility, and body composition.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of specific behavioral strategies to enhance exercise and health behavior change.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of ability to communicate effectively and teach exercise participants proper exercise techniques, exercise progression, and lifestyle change strategies.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans. The program advising guide outlines the certificate requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
Related careers include personal trainer/manager, group fitness instructor/manager, fitness specialist—corporate fitness, general manager—commercial fitness, and wellness director.
- Career Outlook for Fitness Trainers and Instructors: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development & Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.
- Health Enhancement Exercise Science and Physical Education Program
- Community Health Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Exercise Science Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Physical Education Teacher Education Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Public Health Sciences AS Degree
- Advanced Personal Trainer Certificate