Skip to main content

International Students: Getting Started

In this section you’ll find helpful direction and information for beginning your education at Montgomery College.


Skip section
Types of Student Visas

Find out how to apply for a new I-20 from outside the US, from inside the US, and how to transfer an I-20.

Find Out More

End of section
Skip section
International Credit Evaluations

If you have credit from coursework completed outside of the US, you may be awarded credit toward your Montgomery College degree.

Find Out More

End of section
Skip section
English Language Assessment & ESL

MC has several levels of English language training to fit every need, from continuing your education to improving your English for your job.

Find Out More

End of section
International Student Orientation

International Student Orientation is mandatory/required.

Evidence of Financial Support

To obtain an I-20 form, an F-1 or M-1 prospective student must submit evidence of financial support.

Required Testing for Students Outside the US

If you are outside of the US, you are required to take a standardized exam to demonstrate your level of English proficiency.

Selecting an Academic Program

Student visas require students to choose a degree program or ESL program. MC also offers certificates and letters of recognition students may complete during their degree studies. The General Education program is part of of every degree program at Montgomery College.

Credit students are working towards either a career/technical certificate or a degree program at MC, or are taking courses that will be eligible to transfer to a program at another college or university. In some cases, students take courses that are offered for credit for personal reasons or skills updating, even if they do not need the college credit. Credit students pay application fees, take assessment tests, and complete the placement processes.

Look for classes and programs in the credit course catalog.
Noncredit or WDCE students are taking courses for personal or professional interest. These courses do not offer college credit, but in some cases WDCE students can earn continuing education units, certification or other evidence of class completion to meet personal or professional requirements. Noncredit courses are often co-listed side-by-side with credit courses.

Look for classes and programs in the noncredit course catalog.