Skip to main content

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


  1. Must be in F-1 status and have completed two full time semesters of non-ESL courses.
  2. Must be enrolled in an Internship course for degree credit.

Available Time Period:

  1. Work dates will be the same as the semester dates of the class or as required by the class.
  2. Maximum work hours: Full time during summer vacation when school is not in session; Part time during school sessions, training cannot exceed twenty hours per week;
  3. Work may begin up to 30 days before the beginning of the semester if required.

PLEASE see your International Coordinator to discuss the impact  if you plan to complete more than 3 terms/semesters of CPT. 

Application Procedures: (to apply for Authorization to be printed on your I-20)

  1. Select a qualifying Internship Course.  See an Academic or Departmental counselor.  Department Internships (ex: CMAP/CMSC/NWIT269 or HMGT 290) are ONLY for that major.
  2. Work with the Internship’s Faculty Supervisor to find a job and complete all the application procedures to register for the course.  You may get a “Letter for Potential F-1 Internship Employers” from the International Coordinator to help you get the job.
  3. Register and pay for the course. You must complete all course requirements/assignments.
  4. Have the Faculty Supervisor of the internship course write a letter to the International Coordinator’s Office containing the following information:
    • Student’s Name and MC ID number (not Social Security Number)
    • Name and Number of the Internship Course (ex. COED 260)
    • Semester and Exact work dates when the work will take place
    • Job title and brief description of duties to be performed-
    • Name and address of the Internship (job) site.
    • Name of the work supervisor at the internship site (if available)
    • Name, title, and contact information for the Faculty Supervisor.
  5. Have a copy of the Faculty Supervisor letter mailed or emailed to the International Coordinators and have a copy for yourself.
  6. Make an appointment with a Coordinator and bring your current I-20, proof of registration in the Internship Course, and your copy of the letter from the Faculty Supervisor.
  7. You will receive a NEW I-20 from the International Coordinator noted with your CPT.  You may request a “Letter for F-1 Internship Employers” if you did not get one (see #2).
  8. You may use your new I-20 to begin working, however, if you do not have a Social Security Number you should apply for one as soon as you receive your CPT I-20.  

Important Points To Remember:

  • You must keep your address and telephone number current with the International Office.
  • Plan the internship course with your academic counselor to complete it before you graduate.
  • Many internship Faculty Supervisors can help you to find the right job for the internship OR all students can use the Student Employment Services offices on their campus.
  • There is no application fee for CPT, however, you must pay tuition for the course credit and complete the class.
  • You may NOT begin working until you have your CPT I-20.
  • You, and your employer, do NOT PAY Social Security or Medicare taxes.  Please see for information about paying taxes for F-1 students.
  • You MAY legally begin working while your Social Security Card is in process.  The Social Security Administration can issue you a receipt to show you have applied for the card.

To download a copy of this instructions, click here (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window)  .