Skip to main content

Additional Transfer Resources


Learn how to Apply for Admission at a Four-Year Institution

Explore the basics of how to apply for transfer to four-year institutions.

The Universities at Shady Grove

9 institutions, more than 70 degree programs, all located in Rockville.

For more information or to schedule a virtual appointment, please visit: Universities at Shady Grove (USG)new window

Credit for Prior Learning

Taken a nationally-recognized exam? Or have a JST? What about transferring credits into MC? Learn more about how your past experiences can earn you credit.

Sending Transcripts

Request a transcript be sent to your transfer institution.

Program Advising Guides

View program requirements for all of MC's majors and certificates.

Transfer Tool Kit

This page will provide unique information for transfer advising - those items every student, advisor and counselor needs to know about transferring to MC's partner institutions.

Seven Steps to Transferring

Follow these seven steps to start on your transfer path.

Academic Common Market

Learn how you can get in-state tuition for programs offered outside of Maryland.

Statewide Programs

See which community college programs are offered to all students within Maryland.

Reverse Transfer

MC allows students to transfer up to 45 credits to complete their degree (a student must have already been a student at MC).

Tips for Transferring

MC students should consider these transfer factors when making a decision about which four-year school to transfer to.

Common Application for Transfer

Many regional institutions are using the Common Application for Transfer.

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR)

The state regulations that guide transfer admission, general education, and transfer of credits.

Health Professions Advising and Transfer

Plan out the next steps in your health professions career at MC— all the way through to a doctorate program.

 Unique Student Populations

Every transfer student is unique. See if any of the information below is relevant to you.

In addition to following regular transfer planning advice elsewhere in the MC Transfer Page, veterans should explore these resources:

Additional Resources:

Links to four-year institution military and veteran's websites are provided on the school landing pages.

Q: I am an international student who wants to transfer to a four-year institution. How do I plan for this?
A: There are a few things you should do:

  • Keep your F-1 status valid/up to date. Work closely with a counselor or academic advisor to ensure that you take the necessary classes to transfer.
  • Follow each individual school’s instructions for transferring as an international student—they vary! Note that some schools will ask you to verify your F1 status at the time of application, while others won’t require it until you are accepted.
  • Pay close attention to deadlines and requirements for international students. They vary from institution to institution.

Q: Do I need to show English proficiency by taking the TOEFL or IELTS if I am obtaining my A.A. degree?
A: Check with each specific institution for their current requirements. As an example, University of Maryland, College Park says they “may consider” waiving it with an A.A., but there is no guarantee. Towson’s website states that they will waive it with an A.A. Contact the admissions office directly if it is not clear to review your particular circumstance.

Q: I already have a degree from my home country which was evaluated as the equivalent of a Bachelor’s (full four-year degree) in the US, but I came to MC to become proficient in English. What can I do now?
A: If your degree was professionally evaluated as the equal of a US Bachelor, you may want to apply for graduate programs in your chosen area of study. Requirements for how you are expected to prove English proficiency will again vary dependent upon the institution. Please check individual websites and clarify as needed with the admissions office. Some graduate programs will also require a GRE or other qualifying exam.

Q: Are there any scholarships available to help me pay for college?
A: The scholarship opportunities for international students studying in the US are limited at the Bachelor level, but there are some funds available, predominately for high achieving students at private institutions. Start your research early; it is time-consuming to research and apply to schools!

Q: I’ve been accepted into the school of my choice! What do I do now?
A: Completing these steps will put you on the right path:

  • Contact your International Student Coordinator to have your I-20 record released. This record can only be released to one school after you have completed your last semester at MC.
  • If you plan to travel outside of the US, please discuss your situation with your new school so they can guide you.
  • After you graduate, you must be fully admitted and have your record released to the new school within 60 days. Contact the International Student Coordinator office within 45 after graduating to be sure your record will be released on time.

Many students with disabilities transfer from two-year community colleges to four-year institutions in pursuit of their educational goals. It is important to initiate the accommodation process as soon as you have been accepted to your new school to avoid delays in services and accommodations. Each college will vary in the types of services provided and documents required. While exploring transfer institutions, visit the disability office to learn about the support and accommodations available. Below are some important considerations to keep in mind:  

  • Develop a transition plan that meets your specific needs. For example, consider the location, campus size, housing, dining, campus life, academic supports, and individual medical/mental health needs.
  • Make sure that you have a current copy of your disability documentation, including the last Accommodation Letter that outlined approved accommodations.
  • Contact the new school’s Disability Services office to understand the steps involved to initiate the accommodation process.
  • Submit request for accommodations and meet with the Disability Services staff of the new school.
  • If you are seeking housing accommodations, be sure to request accommodations on the housing application. Housing deadlines are likely to be on a different timeline than academic accommodations.

Students may wish to review MC's Disability Support Services website for additional information.

The Honors Program at MC is open to students with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 who have completed 12 credits at MC, which includes ENGL101 or ENGL101A with a grade of A or B.  All honors coursework offers a research component and additional mentoring by faculty.  Most of the courses offered in the Honors Program are General Education requirements and will transfer. Honors faculty are often good choices for strong letters of recommendation.  Other honors related opportunities include presenting academic work at a variety of honors conferences and honors internships.  The Honors Program also supports national scholarships such as the Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship and the Critical Language Scholarship. Taking 12-15 credits in the Honors Program can also be a pathway to merit scholarship funding from four-year institutions. Many honors students transfer to prestigious colleges and universities across the nation.

Students should review the Honors website for information.

Additional content will be posted on this site as it becomes available.

Students interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree while balancing work/life, or who want to be in an environment that caters to the non-traditional population, should research the institutions they are thinking of transferring to for the following:

  • When are classes offered? Can I go part-time? Are evening or weekend classes available? (Hint: UMD does not offer weekend or evening classes, and is traditionally designed for full-time enrollment. UMGC, however, is designed for working adults with part-time options, online options, evening classes, and more.)
  • Is there an opportunity to receive credit for life experience? Can I earn additional credit for work I've completed on the job? Or in the military?
  • Is child care available? Or, can I bring my child to class if necessary?
  • Can I take a leave of absence, if necessary, without being penalized? How long of a break can I take before I have to start under new requirements?
  • Are resources and services available when I need them? Is the library open late? Are there weekend hours at the writing center? Is there 24/7 technology help?
Students should review the Dual Admission/Enrollment website for information.
Students looking to pursue Workforce Training, Credentials, or Continuing Education should visit the WDCE website.

Transfer Destinations

More than 4,000 MC students per year transfer to four-year schools around the country. To see where MC students transfer, click on the academic year below:

Flyers and Materials

Below are printable PDFs of materials, flyers and handouts that may be useful for transfer students.