The Arts Institute supports internships that allow students to discover career options
in the arts and blend learning in the classroom with on-the-job experience. Working
with visual, performing, and media arts faculty and staff, the Arts Institute develops
collaborative projects with area arts organizations to enhance College and community
programs in the arts.
Through artist residencies, guest lectures, workshops, performances, master classes, exhibitions, concert series, and other programs that bring visiting artists to the College, students are given exceptional creative opportunities to work with and learn from distinguished professionals and scholars.
Distinguished Guest Lectures and Performances
The Arts Institute sponsors lectures, workshops, and recitals by distinguished guest artists.
The Arts Institute facilitates art internships at various venues. The internships are open to all Montgomery College students enrolled full-time who have an arts-related major. To qualify, students must have completed 24 arts-related credits and have achieved a 3.2 GPA. Students awarded the internship will enroll in the Arts Internship class, ARTT 295, a three-credit MC course. Please note that the internship offerings vary from semester to semester and are based on the participating institutions’ requirements and internship opportunities. The deadline for fall applications is May 1 and December 1 for spring applications. For more information, please contact David Krueger at 240-567-7935.
The program provides for a sustained period of time during which arts professionals actively engage in comprehensive arts-making processes while observed, studied, and queried by students throughout the entire creative period.
World Arts Festival
The Arts Institute helps make possible more than 20 events annually in the World Arts Festival, produced by Dr. Dawn Avery.
Support the Arts at MC
Contributions to support the Arts Institute may be made to the Montgomery College Foundation, a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Campus Arts Departments
- Art - Rockville
- Art - Germantown
- Media Arts & Technologies - Rockville
- Performing Arts - Rockville
- Visual and Performing Arts - Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Arts Institute Mission
- to support exceptional creative opportunities in the arts for students, faculty, staff, and the community
- to enrich the experiences of MC students outside of the classroom, allowing them to engage with the arts and improve their opportunities for academic and professional success
- to encourage interdepartmental and intercampus collaboration and exchange of information and ideas
- to promote MC’s arts on and beyond the College’s three campuses
- to invigorate the college community by offering arts events of exceptional quality and scope
- to enrich the cultural life of Montgomery County through collaboration with arts and educational organizations
Elizabeth Melanson, Acting Director of Arts Initiatives
Katherine Hubley, Acting Director of Arts Initiatives
Michelle Brink, Sr. Administrative Aide
- Art -- 240-567-5115
- Dance and Theatre -- 240-567-5250
- Music -- 240-567-5209
- Media Arts & Technologies (Interactive Technologies, Graphic Design, Television/Radio, and Photography) -- 240-567-5256
- Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center Box Office -- 240-567-5301
- Summer Dinner Theatre -- 240-567-7676
- Visual and Performing Arts Takoma Park/Silver Spring -- 240-567-5780