Skip to main content

Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)

An instructor helping a student study the exterior of a bus

Montgomery College offers Commercial Driver Licensing CDL training. Classroom and behind-the-wheel driving instruction will prepare you for a CDL Class A or Class B with passenger endorsement certification. Upon completion of training, students will be able to pick up, carry, and deliver passengers or items over long and short distances; perform pre-trip inspections; secure cargo; and maintain safe operation of trucks and buses.

Begin your Maryland CDL Process

Registration is now open for late Summer and  Fall 2021.

Please refer to the class schedule updates At a glance Summer/Fall  Safety Institute schedule. (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.)

For mor information contact Alejandra Isaia at 

Begin your Maryland CDL Process

Group A (Combination Vehicles).

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.  

Montgomery College does not offer CDL Class A instruction at this time.

Group B (Heavy Straight Vehicle). 

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.  
Montgomery College offers CDL-B License Prep Courses. Upon completion of training, students will be able to pick up, carry, and deliver passengers or items over long and short distances; perform pre-trip inspections; secure cargo; and maintain safe operation of trucks and buses. 

See the Steps to Register below.

Group C (Small Vehicle).

Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A or Group B, but is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous which require the motor vehicle to be placarded. This includes any quantity of chemical or biological material or agent posing a threat to national security, including toxins.

Montgomery College does not offer CDL Class C instruction at this time.


Steps to Register for CDL Class B

In order to enroll students must be at least 18 years old  for class B (under 21 are restricted to Maryland, cannot drive vehicle requiring HAZ MAT, cannot drive double or triple trailer rigs).

5 Steps to Register for CDL B

1. Maryland Driver’s License 

  • No Restrictions, 4 years driving experience 

2. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) Physical Card 

  • (Drug and Alcohol Screen Results for Class B) Allows you to drive commercial vehicles. 
  • You can use any health provider; however, the provider must have a National Registry number. 
  • Costs vary for tests, $60-$100 

3. MD CDL Learner Permit  (Class B with Air Brake, Passenger & School bus endorsements) 

  • You can study on your own (a) or with us (b).   
  • (a) The study book is free at MVA-Commercial Driver License Manual 
  • (b) You can register for our CDL Learner Permit Prep course (CDL-016) 
  • CDL-016, 6 hours. Study materials with practice tests are included in this course. When you are ready, take the CDL knowledge test including Air Brake, Passenger & School bus endorsements at MD MVA, no appointment required. 
  • Permit Cost is $90 (paid upon successful completion). Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Informationnew window
  • Link to Class Schedule/Registration/ Cost

4. Maryland MVA Driving Record 

5. Contact Us 

  • When 1 through 4 are complete, contact Alejandra Isaia-Herrera for further instructions. 
  • Email:
  • Download the  WDCE  Printable Registration Form  (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) and fill it out. 
  • Complete the  WDCE Registration Form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.)   and return it with Full Payment   
  • Acceptable payments include:  Money Order, Check, Master Card, Visa, Discover, or
  • Sponsorship Authorization form / voucher / ITA from   Employer or other Agency paying for your class. There is NO financial aid, and NO payment plan.


CDL Eligibility, Obtainment, and other Frequently Asked Questions

  1. You must be 21 years old. (18 years if all commercial driving is done within Maryland, if no hazardous materials requiring placarding are transported, and if you do not drive, double or triple trailer rigs). 
  2. You must be physically capable of obtaining a valid medical examiner's card (before taking any CDL skills test). 
  3. You must otherwise qualify for the license based on your driving record. 
  4. Any of the following will disqualify you from obtaining a Maryland CDL:
  • If you are currently subject to any disqualification of your commercial driving privilege from Maryland or any other state. 
  • If your license is currently suspended, revoked, denied, or cancelled. 
  • If you have a conviction for operating a commercial motor vehicle while impaired in the 24 months immediately preceding application. 
  • Other technical rules and further restrictions that pertain only to Maryland are covered in detail within the Course.
  1. Show your Maryland driver license. 
  2. You must take and pass all Maryland examinations that apply to your license class and endorsement requirements. 
  3. Show proof of social security number. 
  4. Meet Maryland driver record eligibility requirements as determined by the State. 
  5. Fill out an application including certifications. 
  6. Pass the required knowledge and vision tests (BEFORE a CDL Temporary Instruction Permit will be issued). 
  7. Pay the Maryland CDL fees. 
  8. Schedule, take, and pass your Maryland CDL skills test.
  • A "skills" test is the practical portion of the exam and includes: 
  • Vehicle inspection test to measure your ability to perform a vehicle safety check. 
  • Driving test. 
  • The skills test is normally given at an approved third party testing site in your area (MD MVA). This can vary and the latest procedures are indicated in the Maryland CDL Course.
Yes, there are MANY reasons that your Maryland CDL can be suspended or revoked. Improper use of alcohol or drugs, traffic violations, and failure to notify top the list. The Course details ALL of the rules regarding suspension or revocation. The point to remember is that alcohol or drug use is not tolerated and your record will follow you throughout the United States.
  1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles. 
  2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles. 
  3. Farmers . . . in certain cases. 
  4. Individuals ...operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.

Endorsements are necessary for certain commercial driving requirements as follows:

  • (P) PASSENGER. For vehicles which are designed to carry 16 or more people (including the driver); or those which carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation. 
  • (N) TANK VEHICLES. For vehicles designed to haul liquids or liquefied gases in bulk in permanently mounted tanks or portable tanks rated at 1,000 gallons or more. 
  • (H) HAZARDOUS MATERIALS. To carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards. 
  • (X) Endorsement code designating a Tank (N) vehicle that carries Hazardous Materials (H). 
  • (S) School Bus.

Yes. With the following restrictions: 

  • You cannot drive a commercial vehicle out of Maryland. 
  • You cannot drive a vehicle requiring HAZ MAT placarding. 
  • You cannot drive double or triple trailer rigs.